Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
I'm considering upgrading from my iPhone SE 64 GB to the 128 GB model. (Originally I was waiting for the iPhone SE 2, but if it has a glass back I prefer to stay with the current SE for the time being.) I'm currently running iOS 10 and do not want to upgrade to iOS 11 (due to some 32-bit apps, among other things). My question: Under what circumstances can I restore a backup from my iPhone SE 64 GB to an iPhone SE 128 GB device (possibly a used one) and still keep iOS 10? Does it matter if the new device has been manufactured/sold before or after the iOS 11 release? Does it matter if it has been upgraded to iOS 11 in the meantime?

I suspect that it’s not possible to downgrade a brand new (i.e., sold by Apple now) iPhone SE to iOS 10. On the other hand, I assume that it should be possible to restore my backup to an iPhone SE that was sold with iOS 10 and that is still running iOS 10, without having to upgrade to iOS 11. Can anyone confirm that? And what about an iPhone SE that was sold with iOS 10, then upgraded to iOS 11, and then restored to factory defaults again? Should that work too?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm considering upgrading from my iPhone SE 64 GB to the 128 GB model. (Originally I was waiting for the iPhone SE 2, but if it has a glass back I prefer to stay with the current SE for the time being.) I'm currently running iOS 10 and do not want to upgrade to iOS 11 (due to some 32-bit apps, among other things). My question: Under what circumstances can I restore a backup from my iPhone SE 64 GB to an iPhone SE 128 GB device (possibly a used one) and still keep iOS 10? Does it matter if the new device has been manufactured/sold before or after the iOS 11 release? Does it matter if it has been upgraded to iOS 11 in the meantime?

I suspect that it’s not possible to downgrade a brand new (i.e., sold by Apple now) iPhone SE to iOS 10. On the other hand, I assume that it should be possible to restore my backup to an iPhone SE that was sold with iOS 10 and that is still running iOS 10, without having to upgrade to iOS 11. Can anyone confirm that? And what about an iPhone SE that was sold with iOS 10, then upgraded to iOS 11, and then restored to factory defaults again? Should that work too?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
A few points…

1. You can restore to a phone running a higher firmware from a backup made on lower firmware (i.e., iOS 10 to 11).
2. You can NOT restore to a phone running a lower firmware from a backup made on higher firmware (i.e., iOS 11 to 10).
3. You cannot downgrade the firmware of any device if Apple is not signing it.
4. No matter what backup you have made on what firmware, it does NOT store system files. Backups only store personal data.
5. An Erase all Contents and Settings on the device will restore you to the version currently on the device even if Apple is no longer signing it. Only iTunes restores force upgrades/updates.

Because of number 4, if you make a backup of your iOS 10 device and you get a new device with iOS 11 you will still be on iOS 11.

Hope that helps.

klasma

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
Thanks. So 3 & 5 in particular mean that after a device had iOS 11 firmware at any point, it’s impossible to run iOS 10 on it, even when restoring from a backup made on iOS 10. In other words, the only way to get the result I want is to obtain a device that is still running iOS 10 and restore the iOS 10 based backup to it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Thanks. So 3 & 5 in particular mean that after a device had iOS 11 firmware at any point, it’s impossible to run iOS 10 on it, even when restoring from a backup made on iOS 10. In other words, the only way to get the result I want is to obtain a device that is still running iOS 10 and restore the iOS 10 based backup to it.
And it has to be the right version of iOS 10 to restore your backup on. For example I'm pretty sure you can't restore 10.3 backups to 10.1.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
When I bought an se to use while waiting for my X to come in the mail. It was running iOS 10. If you find one running 10 but your current phone is on an older software then you need to download the AT&T mobile transfer and just transfer everything. That is what I did when my X had a problem and I wanted to stay on 11.1 so I can jailbreak.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Why do you need the additional space? Isn't it far easier and less expensive to simply delete a few things from your phone for now?

We still don't know for sure what the SE 2 (if there is one) will be like. If it comes out in two months and you like it, you'll regret upgrading to the same model.

klasma

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
Why do you need the additional space? Isn't it far easier and less expensive to simply delete a few things from your phone for now?

We still don't know for sure what the SE 2 (if there is one) will be like. If it comes out in two months and you like it, you'll regret upgrading to the same model.

I've been at the limit for some time now and I'd like to have a larger portion of my music collection on the phone. Sure, maybe I'll like the SE 2 after all, but I'm fine with taking that risk. The alternative means living with 64 GB for the next 2+ years, which isn't that attractive.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
And it has to be the right version of iOS 10 to restore your backup on. For example I'm pretty sure you can't restore 10.3 backups to 10.1.

This is correct. Which means that if you're buying a used SE you want to be very sure which version, exactly, is running on the phone.

Reactions: eyoungren

klasma

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 8, 2017
This is correct. Which means that if you're buying a used SE you want to be very sure which version, exactly, is running on the phone.

If necessary I could probably get by without a restore. The more difficult thing is to actually find a device for sale that’s still on iOS 10.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I think you’ll need to find a used SE on Swappa, eBay or Craigslist and see if the seller still has the device on iOS 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.