Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrsetrdr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Is there a compelling reason to upgrade Leopard to Snow Leopard->Lion ->Mountain Lion, such as security updates that would be missed otherwise?

If upgrading Leopard to the current OS is desirable from a security standpoint, would I need to buy Snow Leopard, and Lion in addition to Mountain Lion?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there a compelling reason to upgrade Leopard to Snow Leopard->Lion ->Mountain Lion, such as security updates that would be missed otherwise?

If upgrading Leopard to the current OS is desirable from a security standpoint, would I need to buy Snow Leopard, and Lion in addition to Mountain Lion?
As long as you practice safe computing, including the recommendations in the link below, you're just as safe from malware on Leopard as you would be on later versions of Mac OS X. The real question is whether any later version has something you need or want that Leopard doesn't provide.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

hrsetrdr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
As long as you practice safe computing, including the recommendations in the link below, you're just as safe from malware on Leopard as you would be on later versions of Mac OS X. The real question is whether any later version has something you need or want that Leopard doesn't provide.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

Alright, good to know. OS X 10.5.8 has everything in features that I want/need; almost all the apps I use are Open Source anyway(Firefox,Chome,VNC,Gimp,VLC,VirtualBox etc) so if enhanced security(critical patches) aren't a benefit in 10.6~10.7 then I shall just stay on with Leopard.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
The upgrade to Leopard is called Snow Leopard. The only thing you lose is Appletalk.

Only upgraded to ML just a couple weeks ago. I'd rather be on Snow Leopard. Lost MacSolitaire, haven't found anything worthy of replacing it. Not at all impressed with Apple's other so-called enhancements.

There's many reasons for all the talk nowadays about how SL is becoming Apple's equivalent of XP--many well-loved UI were ditched and the replacements aren't well received.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.