Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pablo_clair_obscur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2017
Holder of a MAC PRO 2.1 of May 2007 (2 x 3 ghz Quad-core Intel Xeon). I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade it to make it a machine again usable for video post - production. So what is it possible to do (change part, update, EFI upgrade)? And at what price ...
Thank you in advance for your advice.

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
You can install a better video card blow out the ram and install a newer OS hacked do a lot of reading good luck

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Holder of a MAC PRO 2.1 of May 2007 (2 x 3 ghz Quad-core Intel Xeon). I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade it to make it a machine again usable for video post - production. So what is it possible to do (change part, update, EFI upgrade)? And at what price ...
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Seriously look at the newer Hackintosh threads. You'll see lots of systems that simply work out-of-the-box.

A ten year old system is likely on the tail edge of its useful life - it may work for five years, or it may blow a puff of smoke in five weeks. If that happens, your investment in the upgrade is lost.

I wouldn't put any money into an MP3,1 or earlier - and I'd seriously look at a hack instead of dumping a bunch of money into a 4.1 or 5.1. They're all antiques - and unlike furniture or art, antique computers aren't more valuable.

I've eWasted all of my systems with components from the MP5,1 era and older. Into the recycle bin. Not worth the huge amounts of electricity that they consume.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Yes it is too old. You already have the maximum CPU in there anyway, and the CPU is what most video applications hammer.

I've eWasted all of my systems with components from the MP5,1 era and older. Into the recycle bin. Not worth the huge amounts of electricity that they consume.

I'm about to sell my two Mac Pros, so could you stop saying that for a couple of weeks? :rolleyes:

Reactions: AidenShaw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.