Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
H264 and H265(HEVC) needs the same quicksync that xeons dont have
perform a proxy or better prores transcode for your drone footage (prores needs much more space)

my cMP plays 4k DJI mov files in resolve in realtime (25fps), but any filter or colorcorrection
and i run in the same dissaster.

but with prores it feels like a rocket (fast drives will be a requirement)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, but also the h264 is slow. I have a maxed out 4.1 ->5.1 with rx580 and when I edit 4k some fotage is fine but some eg. from a DJI drone with higher bit rate, wont play smoothly and FCPX has to render it before any playback.

AFAIK, same situation, no hardware decode for H264 on cMP. So, for normal video playback, the CPU may be OK. But for video editing, if not rendered yet, and you want it to play some editing H264 in real time. The CPU simply can't catch up (of course, still depends on the video's parameters).

Reactions: Farravi and Kubat

Dan Streaman

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
AFAIK, same situation, no hardware decode for H264 on cMP. So, for normal video playback, the CPU may be OK. But for video editing, if not rendered yet, and you want it to play some editing H264 in real time. The CPU simply can't catch up (of course, still depends on the video's parameters).
Actually, all recent AMD cards have quite fast H.264 decoding hardware. It's just that Apple does not use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.