Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fcis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
I am planning to upgrade my Mac Pro 5.1 which is now running Al Capitan to macOS Mojave so I can use Airdrop,... so do I need to update my Wifi and bluetooth card? I've checked and according to what I understood some models need to have a new airport card with WIFI AC And bluetooth 4. Could anyone please advise what things I need to buy to do this upgrade?

Below are the details of the current bluetooth and wifi so I appreciate your advice of what to do thank you

IMG_8334.jpg

IMG_8335.jpg

0ABC99DF-87DA-4F66-B052-ED6C1CD77FD5.jpeg

513E1DBF-2D56-4C15-A719-EBC2A8FABCD9.jpeg

Last edited:

Chips Stephens

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
This kit is what I used, but any WiFi ab type and Bluetooth 4.0 for the Mac Pro 5,1 kit will work. Many kits like this available, this is what I have.

Note this kit has Bluetooth 4,2.
It’s a genuine Apple Card, 2017-18 iMac type.

works perfect for airdrop, Apple Watch unlock took some fiddling with to get working.
After install you will see Instant Hotspot, handoff, and low energy Bluetooth all supported, unlike the card you have now.

Last edited:

MacGarage

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Ohio
This kit is what I used, but any WiFi ab type and Bluetooth 4.0 for the Mac Pro 5,1 kit will work. Many kits like this available, this is what I have.

works perfect for airdrop, Apple Watch unlock took some fiddling with to get working.
After install you will see Instant Hotspot, handoff, and low energy Bluetooth all supported, unlike the card you have now.

Are the ones from China with Bluetooth 4.0 about the same....they are much cheaper.

Chips Stephens

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Have no idea...
Notice none of the cables you need are included, you would have to add the correct cables to that price.
To get to a complete kit cost comparison.
And the gamble the China card works, in a 5,1.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Have no idea...
Notice none of the cables you need are included, you would have to add the correct cables to that price.
To get to a complete kit cost comparison.
And the gamble the China card works, in a 5,1.

I have the complete kit like you purchased but mine came from Hong Kong. It was about five years ago so it was BT 4.0. It came with a mini CD with a few tutorial images and a text file with instructions. I believe I installed it correctly as it did show up in my Mac‘s System Report but I probably didn’t disconnect and reconnect my Apple BT mouse and keyboard so they weren’t recognized. I panicked and reinstalled my original WiFi and BT card. I then went with a BT antenna extension cable to an external antenna for a stronger signal.

I’m thinking about giving it another go for possibly upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur. Your seller does sell the BT Extension antenna cable separately, as they are easily damaged, but not the BT signal cable.

There are one or two YT videos about the installation but you still need that BT signal cable with the plastic connectors.

Fcis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020

Thank you. Does it have a part number or model so I can search for it in Europe?

Fcis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
Are the ones from China with Bluetooth 4.0 about the same....they are much cheaper.

In the link you posted the Mac Pro 5.1 is not listed in the compatible devices. Any idea why?

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 08.37.42.png

Fcis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020

Fcis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
I received the wifi and bluetooth 4.2 things.

I have a question. On the wifi card I received there are no labels A0-3 or J0-3 as shown in the photo so I am not sure which cables connect to which ports. Any advice?

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.48.55 PM.png

Chips Stephens

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Just try them, if Bluetooth is weak, try another, it’s just antenna hook ups...
Does not matter, the other cables like the data cable going to the old Bluetooth header are important to get correct, antennas not so much, as long as it works...

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
I received the wifi and bluetooth 4.2 things.

I have a question. On the wifi card I received there are no labels A0-3 or J0-3 as shown in the photo so I am not sure which cables connect to which ports. Any advice?

View attachment 932226
Where did you get the kit? I'm looking for one just like the one you're holding. Hopefully the seller is US-based? Thanks! JP

norda72

macrumors member
May 27, 2016
Bollnäs, Sweden

But why isn’t there any Bluetooth 5.0-cards to buy? Isn’t 5.0 compatible with Mac Pro 5.1? I have upgraded wifi and Bluetooth in my Mac Pro 5.1 (2012) but still I can’t pair my Logitech-mouse and keyboard, only original Magic Keyboard works. The computer should be replaced, but then I have to change to PC, due to prices.

Dewdman42

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
I tried a USB dongle (hideez) for BLE4 but doesn't work on my 5,1 (10.14). Looking for better solution. Maybe one of these PCI if they are fully functional and compliant with Bluetooth BLE4. Seems like scattered reports about how well any of them work.

texviler

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
Hi everybody. Im new here. I also have mp 5.1 im trying to find out what i need to buy for wifi and bluetooth 4.2 upgrade. These kits are almost 200 usd, that is too expencive for me these days. Im in europe based (Croatia) so can you help me find the right links on ebay or anywhere else?
thank you. Or at least the right names of the parts. For example is this BCM943602CDP modul (in the picture) for BT 4.2?
Somewhere it says it is for 4.0 and somewhere for 4.2. Im confused.
What else i need? Some wires/cables and adapter?
9FA88DB0-48C9-4CB7-9732-F069DC34CFF9.png
94748C0F-6E1E-4B64-8934-742737DE991F.png

ADDvanced

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Going to bump this thread. The mac pro I picked up has bluetooth but no wifi whatsoever. It looks like the cards and adaptors are cheap but if you want the cables, then it's big dick money.

What antennas would I need? I'm guessing I could reuse the factory bluetooth antenna that I already have?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Going to bump this thread. The mac pro I picked up has bluetooth but no wifi whatsoever. It looks like the cards and adaptors are cheap but if you want the cables, then it's big dick money.

What antennas would I need? I'm guessing I could reuse the factory bluetooth antenna that I already have?
The 3 Wi-Fi antennas/cables/connectors are standard issue with all Mac Pros. The cables and uFL connectors are hidden somewhere near the AirPort Extreme slot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.