Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I current have a Late 2015 27 inch iMac with the 3.3ghz Core i5, 24gb of ram and 2TB fusion. I want to upgrade it since I am working remote now and my workloads are starting to push it where it’s showing its age. I do have a 4K 27 inch monitor as a second display which I desperately need.
  • I am debating on getting a core i7 with the 5700xt, 2TB and upgrading the ram myself.
  • getting a maxed out 24 inch M1 iMac
  • Lastly, trying to hold off and get a 27 inch iMac (Pro) when its released in the spring.
I am unsure if I should spend the almost $2800 (I have an education discount and can trade in the imac) for the 2020 iMac or try and stick it out until the spring to get the new iMac that will have the bigger screen.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If you can wait, I would wait.

This is normal advice at all times, but especially given the architecture shift that the desktop machines are about to see.

Apple Silicon is real, its a massive performance bump. Unless you have some specific Intel CPU requirements, hold off. I made the mistake of upgrading in early 2020. Don't do that. :D

If you can't wait, get the 24" iMac. You really want to be on Apple Silicon moving forward, not just because of the performance benefits, but also because intel support will likely be dropped within say 5 years and new apps simply aren't going to target it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Lastly, trying to hold off and get a 27 inch iMac (Pro) when its released in the spring."

I don't think you're going to have to wait that long...

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
If you can wait, I would wait.

This is normal advice at all times, but especially given the architecture shift that the desktop machines are about to see.

Apple Silicon is real, its a massive performance bump. Unless you have some specific Intel CPU requirements, hold off. I made the mistake of upgrading in early 2020. Don't do that. :D

If you can't wait, get the 24" iMac. You really want to be on Apple Silicon moving forward, not just because of the performance benefits, but also because intel support will likely be dropped within say 5 years and new apps simply aren't going to target it.

I am truly trying to hold off, I am nervous about the programs I need to use for work switching to Apple Silicon since I have to remote in to my Windows PC, though Rosetta 2 should do the job since I'm using the Remote Desktop program with Mac (I know I'm talking circles). I do have the 27 inch and I also unsure about downsizing to the 24 inch iMac especially since I have a 27 Inch external monitor currently.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
since you already have a monitor, why not a new mbp and dock it?
I do need dual monitors for work, the MBP is too small of a screen for my workflow, even with the 16 inch MBP. Also, I don't need anything portable, just a sedentary computer since I just my iPad to travel. Though the new MBP are super power.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
OP wrote:
"Lastly, trying to hold off and get a 27 inch iMac (Pro) when its released in the spring."

That's what I'm thinking too, I'm hoping to be able to hold out just another 3-4 months. Though I'm unsure if the 2020 iMac would even be worth it especially with the i9.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I suggest the best thing you can do is use an external SSD with your current iMac instead of the Fusion Drive, and wait for the new 27"+ iMac. The main thing that is slowing down your current iMac is the Fusion drive. I suggest try it: you may be pleasantly surprised, and be able to put off a big expenditure.

I had a 2014 i7 27" iMac with 1TB SSD, and now have a 2020 i7 27" iMac with 2TB SSD. Honestly, the 2020 does not feel much faster than the 2014 for normal usage, basically because both have/had SSDs. (For processor/graphics intensive work, the 2020 feels about twice as fast)

Last edited:
Reactions: throAU

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
That's what I'm thinking too, I'm hoping to be able to hold out just another 3-4 months. Though I'm unsure if the 2020 iMac would even be worth it especially with the i9.
All reputable rumor sources point to Q1 2021, so 4 months tops. Apple absolutely wants to get these computers into the hands of consumers asap, I suspect it's just a matter of the holiday season and chip shortage(s) waning. We can wait together - I'm in the same boat with a '19 iMac! It will be entirely worth the wait.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I am truly trying to hold off, I am nervous about the programs I need to use for work switching to Apple Silicon since I have to remote in to my Windows PC, though Rosetta 2 should do the job since I'm using the Remote Desktop program with Mac (I know I'm talking circles). I do have the 27 inch and I also unsure about downsizing to the 24 inch iMac especially since I have a 27 Inch external monitor currently.
I use Remote Desktop to various PCs and am using my machine for work in a Windows environment.

If you have any specific software or task you're worried about being able to do; list it here and surely some of us can confirm whether or not it's do-able on Apple Silicon.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018

I would not recommend the 24" iMac for someone who needs lots of screen real estate. Apple is still selling Intel machines. They typically support Mac models for 5 to 7 years after they stop selling them so I would expect support for at least the next 5 years but probably closer to 7 unless they also replace the Mac Pro within the next month or so which seems unlikely as they are still releasing new video cards for it.

Reactions: wilberforce

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
OP wrote:

You keep saying this but there really isn't any evidence to specifically suggest January / February as opposed to the more conventional March-June timeframe.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I would not recommend the 24" iMac for someone who needs lots of screen real estate. Apple is still selling Intel machines. They typically support Mac models for 5 to 7 years after they stop selling them so I would expect support for at least the next 5 years but probably closer to 7 unless they also replace the Mac Pro within the next month or so which seems unlikely as they are still releasing new video cards for it.

PPC support was dropped in what... 2009 with Snow Leopard? The Last PPC machine sold when? 2006 I believe. So that was only 3 years.

Sure, Apple "Supported" PPC for a little longer than that, but you can't expect OS upgrades moving forward and the life time of the machine will be limited from here on out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodhitree

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I use Remote Desktop to various PCs and am using my machine for work in a Windows environment.

If you have any specific software or task you're worried about being able to do; list it here and surely some of us can confirm whether or not it's do-able on Apple Silicon.

The main program I use to remote in is Citrix, it fully mirrors my desktop and resizes it to match the screens I am using. So, it'll match the 27 inch display and my 4k display (have the 4k monitor matching the "default" retina size on the iMac).

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012

This is something that I have been going back and fourth with, just downsizing, I am so used to using the 27 inch monitor that I'll regret it after I start working.

Also, that's what I've been thinking about as well, Apple has supported the intel machines for quite a long time but, I think they'll support the Apple Silicon machines for longer, I mean look at the iPhone 6S and original SE.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I'd wait... I've got a 2020 Intel and I'l probably trade it in when they announce the new iMac Pro (or whatever it will be called)... I've got a m1 MBA and as others have said... Apple Silicon is real... I suspect the price (given what they've done with new MBPs) is going to be high and it will stink not to be able to use third party RAM but I'm confident it will be worth it. Good luck with your decision.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
PPC support was dropped in what... 2009 with Snow Leopard? The Last PPC machine sold when? 2006 I believe. So that was only 3 years.

Sure, Apple "Supported" PPC for a little longer than that, but you can't expect OS upgrades moving forward and the life time of the machine will be limited from here on out.
The entire Mac line up was transitioned from PowerPC to Intel in less than a year. The Apple Silicon transition is happening much more slowly. It has taken them a year to transition their MacBooks and a couple of lower end desktops.

I expect OS upgrades for about 5 years after the last Intel Macs are replaced. Apple is not the same company it was in 2006. That was pre-iPhone and before large companies started buying Macs. I think we can probably expect that to happen next year based on previous statements from Apple. However they did just start selling Mac Pros with $12,000 of new video cards in them. Having tried so hard to win back their Pro users with the new MBPs and before that the Mac Pro, I can't see them wanting to upset those users.

Last edited:

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
The main program I use to remote in is Citrix, it fully mirrors my desktop and resizes it to match the screens I am using. So, it'll match the 27 inch display and my 4k display (have the 4k monitor matching the "default" retina size on the iMac).
Does your employer support remote access from Apple Silicon Macs?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I agree with the above - given the move the Apple Silicon, unless you NEED Intel support, don't buy the current 27" iMac. As for the 24" if the screen size and M1 performance don't bother you, then sure, but don't compromise on a machine you don't really want when the successor to the 27" class device is due in the next 6 months.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm waiting for M? something iMac +27" too.
I definitely think/hope it comes earlier. It's the next keynote out.
Hang in there, you don't want an intel or the smaller one.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
However they did just start selling Mac Pros with $12,000 of new video cards in them. Having tried so hard to win back their Pro users with the new MBPs and before that the Mac Pro, I can't see them wanting to upset those users.

People who bought Mac Pros with $12,000 of GPUs/Afterburner etc. have a workload for them. And most of the workloads those machines are sold for will likely run far better on the new machines.

If you're willing to spend $12k on GPUs its because you have a time-sensitive workload and shaving time is making money.

A lot of those users won't blink at spending 20k to get 30% performance uplift with a lifetime of 3-5 years. And Apple Silicon Mac Pros are likely going to give them 3-10x performance uplift at some things is my bet. they won't need to support them beyond warranty/tax write off date because the people using them will want the new version to save time and make more money.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
My normal advice is to buy/upgrade when you need it. There's always something better just around the corner, if you chase that outcome, you'll never be happy. HOWEVER, in this case I would most definitely wait. We're not talking about a few hundred megahertz speed bumped processor and a few nice add-on doo-dad features here. This is a whole new and improved architecture by an order of magnitude.

In my mind, there is no question you should wait for the new/larger iMac. The current consumer-level iMacs are quite nice... for consumers. If you really need a quick-fix, I would add an SSD as others have mentioned. People aren't exaggerating when they say it's like getting a whole new computer. This will only cost you a few hundred bucks at most, and may hold you over until the new iMacs are released.

The unknown is what Apple is actually going to release. If Apple decides that they already have the consumer level iMac (the current M1 iMac) and goes with only an iMac Pro, the cost increase is going to be quite substantial compared to the current 27" iMac. It would completely make sense to have only two iMacs (one for consumers and one for pros). I HOPE that is not the case though. I need much more than the current 24" iMac has to offer, but I don't necessarily need the iMac Pro-level power. Something in the middle would be nice.

In a few months, the picture will be clear one way or the other. In this particular (and very rare) case, I think it's worth waiting.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
Personally I would wait, not overly enamoured with the 24". I expect more on the next releases but if they price too far, the 24" will still be there.

Jrshelby

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I've come from the 3 iterations of 27" iMac. Was tired of waiting and took the plunge on the M1 iMac at launch. I recently sold said computer to a friend cause he was having iCloud issues on his 2013 iMac. To clarify I don't put computers through there paces like I used to. I bought the new MacBook Pro and to me for what I do it was a downgrade for more money. I made a deal with my friend. I said if I can upgrade and fix your 2013 iMac can I buy mine back. So I'm typing on the M1 iMac again and could not be happier. Best Mac I've ever owned and I've owned 28 + by my estimates.

Reactions: Lioness~
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.