Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wait or upgrade

• Total voters

abcdefg12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
I have this huge dilemma of should i get a new phone or wait till next year, my iPhone 6s plan finished about 2 months ago and im just paying $30 month to month plan 5gb data and unlimited call and text, should i upgrade to the 8 plus or wait till 2018 iPhones come out, i really dont want to wait only to be disappointed with next years release, and i dont want to upgrade and be stuck with an 8 plus for 2 years if next years iPhone is an improvement on this years trash. i like the iPhone x but not willing to pay $100 a month for 2 years for a beta phone which doesn't even have touch id.

tconed

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
United States
I wouldn't call the iPhones this year "trash". The iPhone X is excellent. Even the iPhone 8 Plus is great phone (even though it is an old design). You can't go wrong with either phone. If you must have Touch ID, get the iPhone 8. Face ID is excellent in my experience though.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Wait for another year. 6S is still a great phone and will play easily with all IOS updates coming up next year.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you feel this year was trash I’m going to bet that you’ll be disappointed next year too. For better or for worse this is probably the most overhauled iPhone we have ever seen. I don’t see them putting in this many changes or taking much of anything (that isn’t software) out.

Just my two cents but I’d houre happy with the 8+ get it. I think that form factor has one foot in the grave, personally.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
i like the iPhone x but not willing to pay $100 a month for 2 years for a beta phone which doesn't even have touch id.

It's not a beta phone. Apple will sell millions of the iPhone X's that work perfectly fine for the majority. And it's very clear Apple is not resorting to touch ID in the future for their iPhones anymore, so Face ID will be the primary.

My suggestion would be to look at the iPhone 8 Plus. It's still a great device and of course has touch ID, which will likely see support for approximately five years.

Reactions: DiveKitty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.