Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rustyb99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Long Island, NY
I have a question. Since the upgrade for Mavericks is free to all. Will my download of Mavericks be tied to my apple id if I create an install disk from the download?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
1 - Why not just try it?

2 - Since the last version allowed me to use the same USB stick on multiple machines, I would guess this would be the same.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I have a question. Since the upgrade for Mavericks is free to all. Will my download of Mavericks be tied to my apple id if I create an install disk from the download?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ok, so the fact that you download Mavericks from the MAS, a transaction is taking place between you and apple (in theory, I know its free). So the purchase is tied to your apple ID. The installer itself (the .dmg file you can extract) from the download will not be tied to your apple id. No previous version distributed on the MAS has ever been tied to your apple id in this way.

So in short, you can install the version of mavericks you download on as many compatible macs you wish :).

Hope this answers your question

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.