Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jdelphinus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Hi everybody;

I have a late 2015/ 27" iMac with 8Gb/ Ram.
To upgrade memory to 32 Gb, I am debating wether to use Global or Timetec memories.
I know that they are not the optimal choices... , but other brands increase the price considerably.
I humbly ask If among you, anyone could advice.
Sincerely grateful.

J

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Don't "cheap out" on the RAM.
Doing so could cause you a lot of headaches.
You're better off with 8gb of RAM that is reliable, than you would be with 32gb that is not...

Jdelphinus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Thank you Fishrrman
Then, If I was to increase Ram, what would you recommend I use...?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I have used Timetec in my iMac with no problems, no difference from Crucial I could tell from memory testing. Of course this is just one person's anecdote.
All the DIMM manufacturers assemble DIMMs using one of about 4 well-known chip suppliers, Micron, Hynix, Samsung, etc.
Mainly I suggest buy something that has easy free returns and lifetime warranty, on the remote chance that it is defective (even Crucial can be defective).
Brands with highest "reputation" are Crucial and OWC. Whether this means they are really better is not clear. People have occasionally had issues (kernel panics) with OWC ram (although quickly replaced by OWC)

Last edited:

Jdelphinus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
I have used Timetec in my iMac with no problems, no difference from Crucial I could tell from memory testing. Of course this is just one person's anecdote.
All the DIMM manufacturers assemble DIMMs using one of about 4 well-known chip suppliers, Micron, Hynix, Samsung, etc.
Mainly I suggest buy something that has easy free returns and lifetime warranty, on the remote chance that it is defective (even Crucial can be defective).
Brands with highest "reputation" are Crucial and OWC. Whether this means they are really better is not clear. People have occasionally had issues (kernel panics) with OWC ram (although quickly replaced by OWC)
Hi Wilberforce;

I am quite grateful for the time you have taken to reply.

I have found this ; OWC 16GB (2x8GB) SO-DIMM DDR3 1867MHz - OWC1867DDR3S16P, for an acceptable price, according to my research, it seems to be a better choice.

Your advice is quite sensible, it is indeed crucial to be able to return the Ram if not working properly.

Regards

J

Reactions: wilberforce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.