Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

multispoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Ireland
Hi all.

My apologies if this has already been posted before. I did have a quick look and didn't find what I was looking for.

Have the non touch 2017 MPB with a 128gb and despite having an external SSD it's literally too small.

Before I bought it, I thought that I would like a 512gb. I had read that the non touch was the only one where the SSD could be changed.

Aliexpress have plenty of SSDs but they all see to be used or 90-95% 'new'.
They're around $139-$150 plus delivery for the 256gb or $350+ for the 512gb.

Understand from the re-seller in Ireland that Apple will not do an upgrade. They did an SSD upgrade on a 2013 iMac and it transformed it.

I would prefer a new SSD for the MBP and would be OK with a 256gb.
Does anyone know where these can be bought new ?

sawpits

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
Hi all.

My apologies if this has already been posted before. I did have a quick look and didn't find what I was looking for.

Have the non touch 2017 MPB with a 128gb and despite having an external SSD it's literally too small.

Before I bought it, I thought that I would like a 512gb. I had read that the non touch was the only one where the SSD could be changed.

Aliexpress have plenty of SSDs but they all see to be used or 90-95% 'new'.
They're around $139-$150 plus delivery for the 256gb or $350+ for the 512gb.

Understand from the re-seller in Ireland that Apple will not do an upgrade. They did an SSD upgrade on a 2013 iMac and it transformed it.

I would prefer a new SSD for the MBP and would be OK with a 256gb.
Does anyone know where these can be bought new ?

This 1TB which says "Brand new never been installed (zero power on time)":

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-PCIe...FK94PP9YRKB&psc=1&refRID=7WM9PMS4RFK94PP9YRKB

It does not say (unless I missed it) that the below two are new or used

There is this 256GB:

https://www.amazon.com/Odyson-256GB...CDJ2WGAR1GE&psc=1&refRID=FWTTRKAVBCDJ2WGAR1GE

And this 512GB:

https://www.amazon.com/Odyson-512GB-Upgrade-Non-Touch-Models/dp/B07BTBNLDK

Last edited:
Reactions: multispoke

multispoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Ireland
Many thanks sawpits for posting those URLs
When I drilled down through them they do state New.
The 1TB does seen relatively good value for money and possibly worth taking a chance on.
For the 256gb with import duties etc it works at $375 (€345).
With installation etc it will be €400.
At least it can be done if it has to be done.

I did email sintech about an adapter and they replied that they are still working on it.

I also looking at getting a new MBP but all the new ones are Touch Bar which means that it will never be possible to upgrade the SSD. Cannot understand why apple would develop something that can not be upgraded.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you try an upgrade, keep the old drive around.
If things ever go flaky on you (afterwards), you can always revert back to the original factory drive...

Reactions: sawpits

sawpits

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
Many thanks sawpits for posting those URLs
When I drilled down through them they do state New.
The 1TB does seen relatively good value for money and possibly worth taking a chance on.
For the 256gb with import duties etc it works at $375 (€345).
With installation etc it will be €400.
At least it can be done if it has to be done.

I did email sintech about an adapter and they replied that they are still working on it.

I also looking at getting a new MBP but all the new ones are Touch Bar which means that it will never be possible to upgrade the SSD. Cannot understand why apple would develop something that can not be upgraded.

You wouldn't need an adapter for those.

It seems to me that replacing the drive is quite straightforward, maybe you could do it yourself with a tutorial from OWC or iFixit.

As for why Apple is doing it that is simple, it is to encourage people to buy up with a bigger SSD as it is very profitable for them. And to encourage people to keep a computer for less time than in the old days when RAM and drives could both be upgraded.

multispoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Ireland
You wouldn't need an adapter for those.

The idea of an adapter was to use an off the shelf SSD that would allow it to be used on the MBP. It was referred in the URL below along with the lifted extract. I emailed Sintech & they replied back by saying 'that they were studying it'.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

An exception is the MacBook Pro 13" Retina with 2TB (2016-2017) which has proprietary PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSDs. It might become possible at a future date to upgrade it with adapters and small 2242 M.2 blades... stay tuned.. (Sintech is working on it).

It seems to me that replacing the drive is quite straightforward, maybe you could do it yourself with a tutorial from OWC or iFixit.

I have in the past upgraded HDs to SSDs and used a USB key as a boot disk.
With the MBP a local technician said he would do for €50. I would prefer to give it to him so that I don't damage anything inside. The MBP cost a lot more that a standard Windows based laptop. If the MBP was much older I might take a chance. :)

As for why Apple is doing it that is simple, it is to encourage people to buy up with a bigger SSD as it is very profitable for them. And to encourage people to keep a computer for less time than in the old days when RAM and drives could both be upgraded.

I couldn't agree more...

A PC repair shop has offered to exchange my 2017 MBP 128gb for a 2017 MBP Touch Bar 512gb - they said to come in and a price would be worked out. I was tempted but then realised that the Touch Bar model can never have its SSD replaced. So I haven't gone in yet !

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.