Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alohamade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
So I have a 12 Pro for in-store pickup on launch day at an Apple Store. I’m getting it through AT&T Next, and this year, I used an upgrade from another line on my account to get the new 12 Pro for my line (which is an 11 Pro).

I am scratching my brain because I did this for the XS Max, but does anyone know the exact of how this works?/do I:
- Activate the phone at the Apple Store on the wrong line and then contact AT&T to get it on the right line
- Take home the phone unactivated (which I’m not sure is allowed) and then call AT&T before I even turn on the phone
- Simply swap the nano SIMs on the two phones (the 11 Pro SIM into the new 12 Pro)

Thanks!

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
So I have a 12 Pro for in-store pickup on launch day at an Apple Store. I’m getting it through AT&T Next, and this year, I used an upgrade from another line on my account to get the new 12 Pro for my line (which is an 11 Pro).

I am scratching my brain because I did this for the XS Max, but does anyone know the exact of how this works?/do I:
- Activate the phone at the Apple Store on the wrong line and then contact AT&T to get it on the right line
- Take home the phone unactivated (which I’m not sure is allowed) and then call AT&T before I even turn on the phone
- Simply swap the nano SIMs on the two phones (the 11 Pro SIM into the new 12 Pro)

Thanks!

Neither of those choices. I did the same as you. The new iPhones will use a new 5g Sim that can handle mmw.
1.) You will need to activate the phone on the line that the phone is attached to.
2.) Order or pick up a new 5g Sim card that is the same one that comes with the iPhone 12 and you need to attach your number to it. I did this today so it will be here when the phone arrives. The Sim has my number attached to it.
3.) When you pick up your phone activate the phone with the number that you ordered under.
4.) Activate your Sim that you picked up or ordered with your number attached.
5.) Swap Sim cards.
6.) enjoy your new iPhone 12.

You may have to put the Sim from the iPhone 12 that you ordered under in their phone that they are currently using since activating the iPhone 12 might deactivate their active Sim that they are using in their current phone. For example I ordered under my wife's number for me and I will take out the Sim from the iPhone 12 and put it in her 11 pro max since activating the iPhone 12 will probably deactivate her Sim currently in her 11 pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.