Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
I upgraded my 2020 iMac (Intel i9 with 64 GB memory, 4 TB SSD) to Monterey 12.2 and am now experiencing random hard crashes (machine stops responding, goes black and then reboots and starts normally).

In all cases I was using either FaceTime in a video session or Zoom in a video session. The system froze and was unresponsive, blanked the screen and rebooted eventually. No kernel panic messages). Prior to the upgrade I had not experienced a single issue (except with Softraid in early Monterey and Big Sur releases). Either I am suffering from an unfortunate coincidence of an update and hardware failure or there is a bug that has been introduced in 12.2. I have a 2020 M1 MBA, 2021 M1 24" iMac and 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro which I have not allowed to update until I am fully satisfied that this is not a bug or that it is constrained to Intel machines.

Note that all other applications appear to work satisfactorily e.g. Microsoft 365, Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Photos, Safari, VMWare Fusion, OWC Softraid etc.

Anyone else experience a problem like this after the update?

Thanks for any help or guidance you might be able to provide.

• Sad
Reactions: yitwail

MarMar1111

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2022
I upgraded my 2020 iMac (Intel i9 with 64 GB memory, 4 TB SSD) to Monterey 12.2 and am now experiencing random hard crashes (machine stops responding, goes black and then reboots and starts normally).

In all cases I was using either FaceTime in a video session or Zoom in a video session. The system froze and was unresponsive, blanked the screen and rebooted eventually. No kernel panic messages). Prior to the upgrade I had not experienced a single issue (except with Softraid in early Monterey and Big Sur releases). Either I am suffering from an unfortunate coincidence of an update and hardware failure or there is a bug that has been introduced in 12.2. I have a 2020 M1 MBA, 2021 M1 24" iMac and 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro which I have not allowed to update until I am fully satisfied that this is not a bug or that it is constrained to Intel machines.

Note that all other applications appear to work satisfactorily e.g. Microsoft 365, Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Photos, Safari, VMWare Fusion, OWC Softraid etc.

Anyone else experience a problem like this after the update?

Thanks for any help or guidance you might be able to provide.
Hi Whitby, just checking in. I have come to the exact same conclusion - the crashes are associated with the use of Zoom. Did you ever figure out a resolution? I have the 2021 M1 MBP.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
It seems that an update to Zoom and Monterey fixed it. I upgraded to the 2021 M1 Max MBPro 16” and it does not seem to have the problem. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. Best I can say is make sure you have the latest Zoom version and latest Monterey build.

MarMar1111

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2022
Thanks Whitby! I appreciate you taking the time to update this thread and share your recent experiences.

Have a great and safe Memorial Day weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.