Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Wife and I have 13 Pro Max and 13 Pro (respectively) that are coming up on 2-years old. Both honestly seem to work great still, but our battery health is down to 82% and 83% on them.

I was thinking that instead of maybe upgrading to the similar level 15 series phones, maybe just get the batteries replaced when they get to 80% and ride these out for a another year or two. Already the longest we've gone without upgrading iPhones (had every single offering since 2007), but these seem to be starting to level off a bit with respect to annual improvements.

We are on a sweet old T-Mobile plan, so not eligible for upgrade "deals"...just would buy from Apple store.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It seems that the 15 series has more issues than any new recent iphone. A 15 may be a downgrade.
My vote: when the battery life becomes too annoying on your 13 iPhones and the battery health is 79% or lower- replace the battery.
Apple officially won’t replace a battery unless is below 80%

Last edited:

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Those batteries are likely shot anyways that close to 80%. Just replace them now, unlike with iPads the battery can be replaced in-store without replacing the entire device so the health doesn't matter as long as you pay for it. Though it depends on the model, some older iPhones had more involved battery replacements but I think these are now done in-store too.

Then you'll get at least a full year of use out of the new batteries if you decide to get new devices around the time when the iPhone 16 releases.

That was for some models and is now only true for iPads,, and Apple Watches of course. If they can replace the battery on its own without switching out the entire device then they'll do it regardless of the health.

Mistletoe66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2023
Precisely the reason i returned my 15 pro max due to the poor battery life which felt like a downgrade from my 11 pro. Replaced my battery in 11 pro, feels as good as new phone now.

Seriously, no regrets. The only thing i misses is the 5x zoom but if i were doing light surfing on a pro max device , I expect the efficiency to be better than 15 plus but sadly it is worse than even the 13 pm.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
I would replace the battery and wait. I have the 15 as my 12 battery was awful, and I went to the Pro Max from the Pro. The current design language is getting tiring so hopefully Apple has something fresh coming up. I don’t think it will be the 16 though.

Reactions: dmk1974

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
That only applies to in-warranty or AppleCare+ replacement. If you're paying for the battery, you can have it whenever you want.

The OP may have AC+ so it's a valid thing to point out, though.
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I did not clarify, but we do not have AC+ on any of our phones. Would like pay for the out of warranty battery replacements which appear to be $89 each per online.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Replace the battery and wait for the iPhone 16. Better thermals and that new metal battery that lasts longer to get around the upcoming EU battery rules, is reason enough.

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
If I where you it would probably be cheaper to replace the batteries in your phones going to a iPhone 15 pro or so on all the 15’s use usbc to charge them so you would have to replace all your cables and so on but if you have a iPad with usbc then I would say get a 15 as for people reporting bad battery on the 15’s this happens every time a new iPhone model comes out people are saying the battery life is bad in my opinion it is probably more on how the owner uses there phone on how long the battery lasts.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
It seems that the 15 series has more issues than any new recent iphone. A 15 may be a downgrade.
My vote: when the battery life becomes too annoying on your 13 iPhones and the battery health is 79% or lower- replace the battery.
No. A 15 is not a downgrade, no matter how many echo chambers repeat this nonsense. And yes, if you doubt definitely go for a battery replacement and enjoy the leap to the iPhone 17 in 2 years 😊

TacoFan

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2023
13 pros are still amazing phones. I’d replace the battery and ride until 17

Mind you, I have an XS and I’m waiting for the 16 :D so YMMV but I really don’t see the point of replacing your phones. Could be different if you’re in the US and how you handle that (carriers or not, trade ins, offers…). Do the maths but technology wise you’re good

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I would replace the battery if you feel that you need to, otherwise stick with the battery until it goes below 80%.
Not sure where you are from but one factor I always have to remind myself of is that during the winter its even more important to have a fully working battery.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I would wait and update your battery with the rumoured battery stacking feature just around the corner in the iphone 16.

According to macrumors battery stacking technology “can result in higher capacity and a longer lifespan. Stacked batteries are common in electric vehicles and medical devices”.

I am still using my iphone 12 pro max with 91% battery health. If the battery had to die on my iphone, i would replace it, with a genuine battery and sell it for a higher cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmk1974 and teohyc

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
This:
Don't be afraid of the 15 Pro, but also there's no need to upgrade if you're happy with what you've got now. Does the battery still last you a day? Don't worry about the health getting close to 80%, just replace it whenever it doesn't last at least a typical day of use, or the longest you're away from a charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.