Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
There is no way for me to upgrade from ios 12.4 to 13.5 using itunes because for some reason my current ios might be corrupt and doesn’t let the iphone connect. My purpose is to have ios 13.5 ready for the future jailbreak that I’ve heard is coming soon.
So, since I can’t use itunes with my current ios 12.4, my idea is to upgrade to 13.5 via ota and then, once I am able to connect to itunes, is it possible to re-install ios 13.5 using itunes?
For jailbreaking purpuses is much better to have your ios installed via itunes, right?
And, if I do an ota upgrade, will I loose all my data if I am not able to do a computer backup and I am not paying icloud extra storage?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
There is no way for me to upgrade from ios 12.4 to 13.5 using itunes because for some reason my current ios might be corrupt and doesn’t let the iphone connect. My purpose is to have ios 13.5 ready for the future jailbreak that I’ve heard is coming soon.
So, since I can’t use itunes with my current ios 12.4, my idea is to upgrade to 13.5 via ota and then, once I am able to connect to itunes, is it possible to re-install ios 13.5 using itunes?
For jailbreaking purpuses is much better to have your ios installed via itunes, right?
And, if I do an ota upgrade, will I loose all my data if I am not able to do a computer backup and I am not paying icloud extra storage?

I can't speak to the statement "For jailbreaking purpuses is much better to have your ios installed via itunes, right?" ... but since Apple is no longer signing 13.5, you can't get there. iOS 13.5.1 was released a few weeks back to block the jailbreak exploit, and since Apple quit signing 13.5. you have to stay where you are or upgrade to 13.5.1. Those are your only options.

Reactions: hgrimberg

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I can't speak to the statement "For jailbreaking purpuses is much better to have your ios installed via itunes, right?" ... but since Apple is no longer signing 13.5, you can't get there. iOS 13.5.1 was released a few weeks back to block the jailbreak exploit, and since Apple quit signing 13.5. you have to stay where you are or upgrade to 13.5.1. Those are your only options.

Oh, pity! I was dealing with this problematic connection to itunes with no success for all these past weeks!

Chukwe

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
If you're jailbreak on iOS 12.4, stay there. I regret going from iOS 12.4 to 13.5 because of unc0ver 5. It's just been one problem to the other. My iOS 12.4 was great then.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
If you're jailbreak on iOS 12.4, stay there. I regret going from iOS 12.4 to 13.5 because of unc0ver 5. It's just been one problem to the other. My iOS 12.4 was great then.

Thank you

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
One thing to mention... at this point, Apple has stopped signing 13.5, so you can't get there from here. IF you upgrade, you'd have to go to 13.6, the key 'feature' of v13.5.1 was Apple fixing the exploit that made jailbreak possible. So there's that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.