Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt. Pat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
I'm in the market for a new iPhone as my iPhone 7 Plus won't update beyond IOS 15. So do I save a few dollars and go with an iPhone 14 or move to the latest version? I normally keep my phones till Apple support runs out and I'm not a power user after all I'm still using an iPhone 7. I've acquainted myself with the various differences and find myself leaning toward the 14. Assuming I keep whatever I purchase till support runs out is there a compelling reason to go with the 15?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Screen brightness, camera megapixels, A16 chip, USB-C; that's about it. But you have seen the comparison already I suppose. Saving a few dollars is not a bad idea given how close they are. Neither is a bad choice, especially compared to iPhone 7. Maybe the 15 gets one more year of support, but that is guesswork.

Personally, I would go for 15 because of the USB-C port. And because if you plan to use it for that many years, the difference in $ would be less important to me. And bit of extra speed in the long run is always nice.

TKSX

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2021
I would get the 15, but wait until Christmas time so you get the extended return window for you to try out your phone.

BTW: you might need to upgrade to e-sim if you live in the USA (i.e., it is not as simple as pull out a sim card from your old phone and plug it in the new one, turn it on, and then start using your phone).

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
If you want to go Pro then go 14.

If you want to go regular then go iPhone 15 or iPhone 15 Plus. Maybe the same price. I would avoid the iphone 15 Pros till all the issues are worked out.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Get the new iPhone 15 Regular because it has 90% of the features of the iPhone 14 Pro plus the new processor plus some other goodies.

The big change here will be from Lightning cables to USB-C cables, but one comes packed in the box.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I'm in the market for a new iPhone as my iPhone 7 Plus won't update beyond IOS 15. So do I save a few dollars and go with an iPhone 14 or move to the latest version? I normally keep my phones till Apple support runs out and I'm not a power user after all I'm still using an iPhone 7. I've acquainted myself with the various differences and find myself leaning toward the 14. Assuming I keep whatever I purchase till support runs out is there a compelling reason to go with the 15?
I’d go with the 15 (non pro). The new features of the 15 that I find compelling are: Dynamic Island (nice feature), Brighter display (2,000 peak outdoors) and camera sensor. USB-C is nice too (ie convenience factor if nothing else). Plus, A16 chip gives you more longevity for future IOS updates….since you like to buy and hold.

The current carrier deals on the 15 made it hard to pass up.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Your decision to use your phone until it is not supported is commendable. 😊 When upgrading, I would get the latest version to have all latest technology updates and longest support. However, if current situation does not allow it, get the version before the latest one, on this case, iPhone 14.
Wish the best for your choice and enjoy whatever version you choose!😊

Capt. Pat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
Thanks for the input my thinking has changed, now leaning to the 15. It's pretty close, the USB-C cable will be nice but not a major driver for me. The good news is that my 7+ is working fine so there's no hurry with a decision. The larger issue is deciding whether to stick with my current provider or move on to a lower-cost alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.