Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stoopchow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
Hi there,
I have a 2012 Macbook pro and have been running OS X 10.7 (Lion) since I got it. I have finally reached the stage where I need to upgrade as I want to download some new software. However, I don't want to upgrade to High Sierra as I will have some compatibility issues with older software. Is it possible for me to upgrade to OS X Yosemite? It seems to be blocked in the app store and I don't know if there's another way for me to do this.

Thanks for your help,
Brian

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Did you download Mac OS X Yosemite while you could? If not, that's gonna be difficult as there is no real legal way AFAIK to get Yosemite. Maybe a non Apple Mac service store can help you out with an installation or an installer USB, if they are allowed to.

Stoopchow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
Hi organicCPU, thanks for your quick response. No I never downloaded it before, I didn't realise that was how it worked. I'll try that, thanks again.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
That's why most of us do have a large library of past macOS Versions in case we ever need it;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.