Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
So, I upgraded a friends MacBook Pro to 10.10.1 from 10.9.5 and when the machine came back on I noticed that it shifted the icons on the far left side of the desktop shift over about one spot. Thinking it was just an issue with the Finder, I run the command "killall Finder" and everything came back up. Still wouldn't allow me to move the icons. The entire left side is unusable which is about the width of an icon. Any way to fix this before I call AppleCare tomorrow? This makes no sense. All the other computers I upgraded to Yosemite went just fine.

I also tried a manual "Clean Up" didn't move a thing. Turning off Snap To Grid would allow free movement, but everything then looks disorganized.

It's a 13" MacBook Pro if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
So, I upgraded a friends MacBook Pro to 10.10.1 from 10.9.5 and when the machine came back on I noticed that it shifted the icons on the far left side of the desktop shift over about one spot. Thinking it was just an issue with the Finder, I run the command "killall Finder" and everything came back up. Still wouldn't allow me to move the icons. The entire left side is unusable which is about the width of an icon. Any way to fix this before I call AppleCare tomorrow? This makes no sense. All the other computers I upgraded to Yosemite went just fine.

I also tried a manual "Clean Up" didn't move a thing. Turning off Snap To Grid would allow free movement, but everything then looks disorganized.

Will it help by toggling the display resolution? it may just be a software bug but I'm not having the same problem on my 15" MBP.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014

Have you tried changing Icon size and/or Grid spacing?

DS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.