Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Long live the Touch Bar…

Afterward, I had a good wine with some cheese regarding the pitfall of Apple’s creativity in the design of laptops. It looks like every other professional laptop now :( But the screen is absolutely gorgeous. It makes the monitor I have next to it look so bad…

I just upgraded from the M1 13’ Mac Book Pro (the OG!) to the M3 Max to speed up HDR workflows, but mainly so I can start building larger AI models for my company, The Universe…. It sounds a lot less fun than it actually is. 😇

SPECS:
14in Mac Book Pro, Space Black
1Tb, 36 gigs of Ram,
14 cpu, 30 gpu, 16 neural Engine Cores

BUT - after upgrading and restoring my old system to the new one for fast onboarding… I thought to myself, do I need to change settings? What settings should I be aware of? Like video editing, gaming, and design.

Also, are there any excellent apps you could recommend that complement this beast of a machine that literally unlocked the hard drive in mere seconds as compared to my M1?

Also, the WiFi seems slower (at least on Apple downloads), and it’s a router that supports the 6G standard that this Mac supports… any thoughts?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Long live the Touch Bar…

Afterward, I had a good wine with some cheese regarding the pitfall of Apple’s creativity in the design of laptops. It looks like every other professional laptop now :( But the screen is absolutely gorgeous. It makes the monitor I have next to it look so bad…

I just upgraded from the M1 13’ Mac Book Pro (the OG!) to the M3 Max to speed up HDR workflows, but mainly so I can start building larger AI models for my company, The Universe…. It sounds a lot less fun than it actually is. 😇

SPECS:
14in Mac Book Pro, Space Black
1Tb, 36 gigs of Ram,
14 cpu, 30 gpu, 16 neural Engine Cores

BUT - after upgrading and restoring my old system to the new one for fast onboarding… I thought to myself, do I need to change settings? What settings should I be aware of? Like video editing, gaming, and design.

Also, are there any excellent apps you could recommend that complement this beast of a machine that literally unlocked the hard drive in mere seconds as compared to my M1?

Also, the WiFi seems slower (at least on Apple downloads), and it’s a router that supports the 6G standard that this Mac supports… any thoughts?
Unless you specifically turned down the performance settings on the specific apps you use, there's likely nothing that needs to be reset. It's simply a faster machine.

As for the wifi issue, make sure your router actually has 6E turned on. Some have the option for a separate SSID for the wifi 6/6E network. You can check to see what your Mac is connecting to by holding down Option while clicking the wifi icon in the menu bar. It'll give you all the specifics of the network you're connected to.

Reactions: jumpcutking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.