Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Hello everyone!

I currently have a 2012 i7 mac mini that was on Mavericks but out of necessity I had to upgrade to Sierra this past Monday. Every thing appeared ok and the few things that were off I fixed (external drive un-writable). There are 2 things that I need to work on though. One of them I think I have an idea about (iPhoto to Photos) but the sleep/shutdown issue I feel I need some help with.

Normally I have the mac mini on for extended periods of time (a week to several weeks) and that has been the case the last few years with no issues at all. I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and normally when I go to use the mini, I just hit a key and the mini awakes. since Monday after the mini has been asleep overnight I noticed that hitting any key on the keyboard would not make the mini wake up.

At this point I noticed the LED indicator on the front corner of the mini was not on either. I had to reach over to the back side and push power button once which powered up the mini to a progress bar and after a bit it asked for my password as it would normally do.

I attempted to change the energy settings and even activated power nap to see if that would help. I have not seen a change the last few days. I can place the mini to sleep in the evening and by the morning it will be off. I'll turn it on in the morning and when I come back from work it is off again.

Does anyone know of a solution to this issue?

The iPhoto to Photos issue I have is when I first open photos, I get a message along the line about setting up my library to work with Photos. I get a progress bar but about 8% in to it a new box appears and I get a new message stating I am 57GB short for the process to take place. I was under the impression it would be using my old iPhoto library and not duplicating it. so I need to figure that out as well.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you wish to keep using iPhoto, you -can- do that.
BUT -- you CANNOT use the version of iPhoto you have now (won't run).

You need iPhoto 9.6.1. That one -does- work with Sierra.

However -- it can prove hard-to-obtain.

One trick is to DELETE the current (old) version of iPhoto.
Then go to the App Store, to the "purchased" area.
If iPhoto is there, RE-download it, and it should download 9.6.1.

If that doesn't work:
There are (cough) "other ways" to find 9.6.1.
These aren't "approved by Apple", but searching will probably find it for you.
Then, download and install manually.

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Well I have tried many of the suggestions that I have read about here and I have not gotten far. I can wake from display sleep but wake from hibernate is non functional. It does not recognize the wireless keyboard of the magic pad and the power button doesn't wake the mini either. I have to hold it down for a bit for it to restart. I have placed the mini to never put the computer to sleep in the mean time as I would hate to restore the device. I'll see if apple comes up with an update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.