Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Hi all,

I recently bought a dell hd 5770 to upgrade the old 2600 xt in my mac pro 2008. However after I patched mojave on it (with the 2600xt in the first slot and the hd 5770 in the second), I realized the hd 5770 does not work with dosdude1's patcher. When I used the 2600xt to go back to High Sierra, the 2600xt works fine in the first slot (where it was when I patched High Sierra) but the hd 5770 doesn't work in slot one (it was in slot 2)

Is there any known fix for this? It's not the end of the world, but it ticks me off. I'd also like to say not a single other pcie card will work other than the 2600 xt. If it's the 5770 and a wifi card for example, it just refuses to boot.

thanks to all who can help

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Why dont you just read on Dosdudes Website?

Known issues:

• AMD Radeon HD 5xxx/6xxx series GPU acceleration: Currently, it is not possible to get full graphics acceleration when running Mojave on a system with a Radeon HD 5xxx or 6xxx series GPU. Mojave will be almost UNUSABLE without graphics acceleration. This includes the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro systems (MacBookPro8,2 and 8,3). If you want to enable GPU acceleration on these machines, you'll need to disable the AMD GPU (This will work on MacBook Pro 8,2 and 8,3 systems ONLY. You CANNOT disable the AMD GPU in an iMac.) Weird colors will also be produced when running Mojave with one of these video cards installed/enabled. To disable the AMD GPU on a 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 or 8,3, follow the guide found here.

generally you need to re install and re enable the GPU patches.

Get a Metal capable GPU, like a Nvidia Kepler.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Why dont you just read on Dosdudes Website?

Known issues:

• AMD Radeon HD 5xxx/6xxx series GPU acceleration: Currently, it is not possible to get full graphics acceleration when running Mojave on a system with a Radeon HD 5xxx or 6xxx series GPU. Mojave will be almost UNUSABLE without graphics acceleration. This includes the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro systems (MacBookPro8,2 and 8,3). If you want to enable GPU acceleration on these machines, you'll need to disable the AMD GPU (This will work on MacBook Pro 8,2 and 8,3 systems ONLY. You CANNOT disable the AMD GPU in an iMac.) Weird colors will also be produced when running Mojave with one of these video cards installed/enabled. To disable the AMD GPU on a 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 or 8,3, follow the guide found here.

generally you need to re install and re enable the GPU patches.

Get a Metal capable GPU, like a Nvidia Kepler.
I've narrowed it down to a gtx 680. Which brand should I go for, and if any brand will work (like if any pc version works), will I need to flash anything, or is it just plug and play?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I've narrowed it down to a gtx 680. Which brand should I go for, and if any brand will work (like if any pc version works), will I need to flash anything, or is it just plug and play?

the best one you could buy is an EVGA Mac Edition. Or a GPU what looks exactly like this, so you can flash the EVGA Mac Edition firmware.

Flashing is not needed to run, but a bootscreen is quite helpful.

EnableGop does not work on a MP3,1 btw.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
the best one you could buy is an EVGA Mac Edition. Or a GPU what looks exactly like this, so you can flash the EVGA Mac Edition firmware.

Flashing is not needed to run, but a bootscreen is quite helpful.

EnableGop does not work on a MP3,1 btw.
What if I cannot afford a pre flashed or a mac edition? If I just buy any evga model will it work? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is enablegop?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
There are a lot of pre flashed GTX680 around.

EnableGop is a firmware / gpu bios extension for MP4,1/MP5,1 - to achieve a bootscreen with GPUs with valid GOP in their GPU bios. But does not work on a MP3,1

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Ah, alright. Although, do I need a pre flashed one? Or can I just buy any EVGA 680 (blower style) and plug it in and it'll work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.