Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actolia

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
I just installed an SSD in the optical bay drive and I have my HDD in the main drive bay. Mac OS is installed on the SSD.

I've tried to install Windows on the SSD too, but I couldn't, so I removed the HDD from the main bay, leaving the SSD from the optical drive bay the only drive remaining. From there, I've successfully installed Windows on the SSD. But now, since I've reinstalled the HDD, I can't boot on Windows (I'm stuck at a black screen with a blinking cursor).

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

Note: MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2012)

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I just installed an SSD in the optical bay drive and I have my HDD in the main drive bay. Mac OS is installed on the SSD.

I've tried to install Windows on the SSD too, but I couldn't, so I removed the HDD from the main bay, leaving the SSD from the optical drive bay the only drive remaining. From there, I've successfully installed Windows on the SSD. But now, since I've reinstalled the HDD, I can't boot on Windows (I'm stuck at a black screen with a blinking cursor).

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

Note: MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2012)

Did you install Windows on the SSD using Boot Camp or did you do a straight install? By default, Windows will not install on a drive in the optical bay because of Microsoft Anti Piracy routines. It assumes the drive in the optical bay is an external drive.

actolia

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
Did you install Windows on the SSD using Boot Camp or did you do a straight install? By default, Windows will not install on a drive in the optical bay because of Microsoft Anti Piracy routines. It assumes the drive in the optical bay is an external drive.
I tried a lot of things. I'm able to install Windows on the SSD when it is in the main bay and in the optical bay, but as the only drive available (I removed the HDD from the computer). As soon as my SSD goes in the optical bay (and that there's a hard drive in the main bay), I can't boot Windows. If I remove again the hard drive from the main bay or if I put the SSD in the main bay, I can boot Windows normally from the SSD.

After reading on MacRumors and some other forums, it seems that it's just impossible to make it work. The only solution is to put the SSD in the main bay, which I don't want to do (the main bay have a falling protection for HDD).

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
You have to configure your drives in Disk Utility. Failing that use Terminal.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
After reading on MacRumors and some other forums, it seems that it's just impossible to make it work. The only solution is to put the SSD in the main bay, which I don't want to do (the main bay have a falling protection for HDD).

The SSD should be in the main bay for optimal performance. Unless you plan on dropping your MacBook Pro, I wouldn't worry about the sudden motion protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.