Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjayviper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
As above. I am using the built-in SDcard reader. Thank you!

-----------

I've tried 2 SDcards and both won't show up in:
- Finder
- Disk Utility
- diskutil terminal command

Things I've tried:
- Check System Report to confirm the built-in SDcard reader is still there. It is still there.
- There's no problem reading and writing into the cards using my camera.
- There's no problem reading and writing into the cards using Windows 10 (I tried a different PC)

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Same thing here with two high end SD 16GB cards. The strange thing is that I have several cheaper SD cards that are no problem reading and writing. I rarely use SD cards though so the two high end cards I tried could have been defective.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I don't have the exact same problem, but for several iterations now none of my systems will recognise my external HDDs but will read USB sticks. It's quite frustrating.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I don't have the exact same problem, but for several iterations now none of my systems will recognise my external HDDs but will read USB sticks. It's quite frustrating.

You plug in an external drive and the system will not mount it? If you open Disk Utility, with the drive plugged in, what does it show? Have you tired doing a SMC reset?

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
You plug in an external drive and the system will not mount it? If you open Disk Utility, with the drive plugged in, what does it show? Have you tired doing a SMC reset?

Neither external mounts, do not show in Disk Utility, nor shows in diskutil. I have done an SMC and a PRAM reset. This isn't a new problem; it started a couple of iterations back, but is common to both my iMac and my MBA.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Neither external mounts, do not show in Disk Utility, nor shows in diskutil. I have done an SMC and a PRAM reset. This isn't a new problem; it started a couple of iterations back, but is common to both my iMac and my MBA.

I suggest you run hardware diagnostics if you haven’t yet.

Try restarting into Safe Mode and see if the issue h

Another thing to try is create a new partition (new Container) on your internal drive. Boot to Recovery Mode (command—key R-key) and install a clean copy of Catalina to the new partition. Restart to the new partition and set it up as a new computer (don’t install any third party software, leave it clean). See if the issue still happens with the clean install. When you are done restart to your current install and remove the new partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.