Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew Montreal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2022
Hi all,

Not sure where to post this so I figured here is as good as anywhere.

I have been running a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 3.3GHz hexacore for ten years. Over time I realized that my eyes can’t do 1080p anymore so I had wished to upgrade to a 4k screen. Thanks to the help given here I upgraded my system and for the most part it is great. So now my set up is:

- 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 3.3GHz hexacore
- Mojave OS
- MSI RX580 8GB (Metal compatible)
- Dell U2723QE 4k screen via HDMI (though I guess I could try Display Port to see if that helps)
- Logic Pro (ahhh… don’t recall which version but it was the latest one that is compatible with Mojave… possibly Logic Pro 10.5)
- Apogee Symphony mki with Maestro 2
- New Internal SATA SSD drive as my startup drive (though it was not a fresh start… it was a copy of my earlier startup disk)
- Separate internal SATA SSD drive for my Logic Pro sessions

BUT… The problem is that I have never seen Logic Pro act SO slowly. Examples would be:

- Saving or closing a session takes quite a while
- When opening a plug-in, the window opens up but is first white, then the plug-in appears.
- General reaction of system is a little slower, like simply pressing play or recording on a single channel.
- Perhaps a tell-tale, when changing the output level of my system with the keyboard shortcuts, the system responds VERY slowly, as in seconds later. And sometimes I get two images overlayed over each other showing the level change occurring. Audio MIDI Setup and Maestro don’t seem to be communicating properly.

And these are sessions that were flying before. Any thoughts? Should I downgrade to High Sierra? Is it an issue with going 4k?

Thanks,

Andrew

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
This is very strange. I'd try wiping macOS and reinstalling Logic. Also, maybe the CPU you stuck in is faulty, but I highly doubt that... I think it just needs a COMPLETE system reinstall... see if that works.

Other than that, I don't have one of those Apogee interfaces (although I want one really bad), so I can't speak to why that doesn't work.

Andrew Montreal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2022
Thanks for the advice. I am thinking that by the mere fact that the audio portion is getting messed up (like the audio controls) that it must have to do with the firmware of the audio interface or something like that. I will see if there’s a new firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.