Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I offer her an upgrade every year but she is happy with this model. It has 8 GB of RAM and a 128 GB SSD so minimal memory and storage. I cleaned up a bunch of old video files on it as it was out of space for the update and she has 70 GB free now. If she needs more space, I can add an external SSD.

I can add RAM to this model as well but she's perfectly happy with the mini. The top of it gets a bit warm with use but, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Geekbench 5 score is 3,285 which is comparable to my 2015 iMac and 2015 MacBook Pro 15. Those systems are fine for office work. I'm always amazed at how usable old Macs are.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It's really true. For basic office/web use you can really get away with some rather old Mac hardware at this point. And they're built well enough that they will often just keep running and running.

My grandmother uses daily a 2011 MacBook Air to look at email and stuff on the web. I keep offering to get her an iMac or something with a bigger (and brighter and sharper) screen but she won't budge.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
It's really true. For basic office/web use you can really get away with some rather old Mac hardware at this point. And they're built well enough that they will often just keep running and running.

My grandmother uses daily a 2011 MacBook Air to look at email and stuff on the web. I keep offering to get her an iMac or something with a bigger (and brighter and sharper) screen but she won't budge.
Maybe she'd be interested in the 15-inch MBA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.