Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marianonano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
I have a 2012 Macbook Pro. I just upgraded my RAM to 2 sets of 4GB. Under my activity monitor it shows that physical memory is 4gb. Is this correct? Or can I be that one of the slots is not properly working?

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Click the Apple dropdown menu > About this Mac > System Report. Slect the memory option on the left pane, which should let you know specifically if one of the slots is not properly registering the 4GB. Activity Monitor is most likely correct but it's good to just double check if anything else is going on.

Reactions: Meister

marianonano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
Click the Apple dropdown menu > About this Mac > System Report. Slect the memory option on the left pane, which should let you know specifically if one of the slots is not properly registering the 4GB. Activity Monitor is most likely correct but it's good to just double check if anything else is going on.

It shows 2 sets of 2GB are in.... but thats definitely not the case. I have 2 x 4gb in.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Where did you get the RAM? Does it state 4GB on it and is it from a reputable supplier? It would be quite possible to sell you 2x2GB sticks labelled as 4GB, a problem with the stick or slot could cause this but unlikely on 2 at the same time...

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Where did you get the RAM? Does it state 4GB on it and is it from a reputable supplier? It would be quite possible to sell you 2x2GB sticks labelled as 4GB, a problem with the stick or slot could cause this but unlikely on 2 at the same time...

I thought the same. :( That's way I asked for a photo.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I thought the same. :( That's way I asked for a photo.

There is counterfeit RAM about and the easiest counterfeit is to use cheap 2GB sticks and relabel, not sure if you would be able to tell from a photo though. I don't have a great feeling about this...

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
There is counterfeit RAM about and the easiest counterfeit is to use cheap 2GB sticks and relabel, not sure if you would be able to tell from a photo though. I don't have a great feeling about this...

But if it's just relabeled we maybe can identify the brand and compare it to a photo of the original by the amount of chips and their size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.