Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2021
I have a 12 Pro Max and AirPods Pro. I was getting spatial audio before upgrading to IOS15, but now there is no spatial audio toggle in bluetooth > AirPods > i or by long holding on the volume in the control center. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution? Thanks!

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
Maybe unpair and repair them? Nothing changes with my AirPods Max after the update.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2021
I called apple support. I tried reconnecting with my phone and resetting all the settings, but spatial audio wasn't showing up. Apple's tech person said to wipe all settings and that fixed it... and left my phone in chaos until I reset everything that was erased.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2021
I've got it now. Tried out Spatialize. Head tracking works really good. It does a good job of keeping oriented to my head. I can wave the phone back and forth in front of my head or set it on the table next to me and it doesn't move with the phone- only with my head. It seems to mostly affect the material that is mono (which is usually vocals or lead guitar solos). And that center material has some sort of slight phase shift or reverb on it. Not unpleasant, but not a terrific improvement either. Naturally, they make sure that Spatialize is louder than without so it's hard to do a direct comparison.

I have to say, I'd like a whole lot more from this. Hopefully the OS updates will add stuff incrementally. What I'd really like to see is some sort of HRTF calibration so I can actually hear distance and rear channels properly. It still sounds like a straight line through the center of my head like stereo... just a little less abrupt left or right, like with crossfeed.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I've got it now. Tried out Spatialize. Head tracking works really good. It does a good job of keeping oriented to my head. I can wave the phone back and forth in front of my head or set it on the table next to me and it doesn't move with the phone- only with my head. It seems to mostly affect the material that is mono (which is usually vocals or lead guitar solos). And that center material has some sort of slight phase shift or reverb on it. Not unpleasant, but not a terrific improvement either. Naturally, they make sure that Spatialize is louder than without so it's hard to do a direct comparison.

I have to say, I'd like a whole lot more from this. Hopefully the OS updates will add stuff incrementally. What I'd really like to see is some sort of HRTF calibration so I can actually hear distance and rear channels properly. It still sounds like a straight line through the center of my head like stereo... just a little less abrupt left or right, like with crossfeed.
So you now have spatial audio but how did you get it. I have new gen 3 air pods and iOS 15.1 on iPad and have no option for spatial audio and never had it. I have firmware4B66. need help

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I have a 12 Pro Max and AirPods Pro. I was getting spatial audio before upgrading to IOS15, but now there is no spatial audio toggle in bluetooth > AirPods > i or by long holding on the volume in the control center. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution? Thanks!
I have same problem

bigshot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2021
I had to return my phone to factory settings to get it to work. A lot of stuff refreshed from the cloud afterwards, but there were some things that I had to manually set up again. It was a bit of a pain.

Reactions: mattg3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.