Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
I have a 2013 trash can, 6 core/16gb of ram (good price/perf and all I could afford when it was new). It has served me very well, but now mostly serves as a media server. Anyways, stuck at home I started fixing, breaking, upgrading things around the home. Bought an OWC 64gb kit for $200 because why not. I expected startup to be slower (which it is), but finder/mission control is really laggy. For the first 60 seconds or so, it stutters. Then it calms down, but its still just not as snappy as pre-upgrade. Text entry is sluggish too. Going back to 16gb restores the snappiness and quick startups. Any ideas?

Also looking to get the OWC 12 core upgrade. No longer do photo/video editing on this, but fair amount of handbrake transcoding. Will it be a noticeable improvement for H265 encoding?

thanks

Last edited:

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Can't help you with the RAM question (I have 64 GB but never noticed any lag/stuttering/text entry problems). But for handbrake that CPU upgrade should make a nice difference assuming all of that encoding happens on the CPU. I'd expect something like a 60% speedup.

vett93

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
California
Your OWC 64GB RAM kit may be the issue. I installed the same kit a few years ago when the price was still pretty high. It has worked fine for years. If I were you, I would fix it before installing more upgrades.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
You could try some genuine Apple RAM. I bought some genuine Apple SK Hynix RAM from this seller on eBay and it seems to be good. Same price as the OWC kit. I also have 64GB of Samsung RAM in my other Mac Pro 6,1 I bought for half the price and it's good too.

Reactions: AlexMaximus

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
My wife’s iMac had an issue with the OWC memory upgrade. They replaced it, no questions asked. New memory has worked flawlessly. You might give them a call about it.

Reactions: AlexMaximus

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
I have a 2013 trash can, 6 core/16gb of ram (good price/perf and all I could afford when it was new). It has served me very well, but now mostly serves as a media server. Anyways, stuck at home I started fixing, breaking, upgrading things around the home. Bought an OWC 64gb kit for $200 because why not. I expected startup to be slower (which it is), but finder/mission control is really laggy. For the first 60 seconds or so, it stutters. Then it calms down, but its still just not as snappy as pre-upgrade. Text entry is sluggish too. Going back to 16gb restores the snappiness and quick startups. Any ideas?

Also looking to get the OWC 12 core upgrade. No longer do photo/video editing on this, but fair amount of handbrake transcoding. Will it be a noticeable improvement for H265 encoding?

thanks

I would absolutely go for the CPU upgrade, especially for transcoding. The question remains, does it need to be through OWC? eBay and YouTube is your friend. Kudos to MisterAndrew again, - Hynix is the ticket. ?

Reactions: MisterAndrew

watboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Well, I found the problem. One of the OWC memory was physically defective, but I only found out after I mixed around the memory resulting in damaged pins on a number of my DIMM slots. Sigh... ended up finding a new CPU riser at an amazing store called Unlimited Mac in Bangkok Thailand. So now everything is working and I did get a 12 core CPU from them to boot. System is amazingly snappy. Time to do some transcoding.

Oh and UnlimitMac Bangkok has a mini museum in the back with amazing collection on display. They had among others, an Apple III, Lisa, Pipin, 20th anniversary Mac, eMate 300, the original portable Macintosh from 1989. They had seemingly every apple device (quicktake camera, paddle controllers, even an unopened box of Apple branded 3.5" floppies!). Brought back childhood memories seeing an Apple IIc. Only thing I can think of them not having was an Apple I, and PowerBook Duo. Was almost worth ruining a 7 year old logic board to discover this shop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.