Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
My mom has a 2011 iMac and I want to upgrade it past Sierra to whatever OS is the latest for this Mac. How can this be done? Running the software update option does not bring up Mojave or Catalina so perhaps apple deleted the OS updates for this old mac. Also one other thing I was unable to get Outlook 2011 to work with her email server so had to resort to using apple mail instead. Any ideas? She would prefer Outlook but will use mail instead because it works.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There is plenty of info on the forum about the Mid 2011 iMac, which is one of my favorite Macs ever.

It is capable of having 3 internal drives, swappable GPU, used as a Target Display Mode monitor, just to name a few awesome features about it.

My mom has a 2011 iMac
What are the specs? Does it have the original HDD?

Running the software update option does not bring up Mojave or Catalina so perhaps apple deleted the OS updates for this old mac.
The Mid 2011 iMac officially runs up to High Sierra, 10.13, and runs it well.

Unofficially, the Mid 2011 can run later OS versions.

If you plan on using Mojave or Catalina, I highly suggest using a SSD, either internal or external.

Regardless of the OS you plan on using, using a SSD would feel like a much newer computer, like a night and day difference, than the aging HDD that came with the iMac.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
There is plenty of info on the forum about the Mid 2011 iMac, which is one of my favorite Macs ever.

It is capable of having 3 internal drives, swappable GPU, used as a Target Display Mode monitor, just to name a few awesome features about it.

What are the specs? Does it have the original HDD?

The Mid 2011 iMac officially runs up to High Sierra, 10.13, and runs it well.

Unofficially, the Mid 2011 can run later OS versions.

If you plan on using Mojave or Catalina, I highly suggest using a SSD, either internal or external.

Regardless of the OS you plan on using, using a SSD would feel like a much newer computer, like a night and day difference, than the aging HDD that came with the iMac.

How do I upgrade it to High Sierra? Thanks..

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
How do I upgrade it to High Sierra? Thanks..

Some advice...

If you plan on using a SSD, update the current OEM HDD to High Sierra before attempting, any SSD swap. This is install the appropriate firmware needed.

Also, it is a good idea to have a bootable back up of the boot drive prior to updating. This is just good general practice, but especially good when attempting a major OS update.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

Some advice...

If you plan on using a SSD, update the current OEM HDD to High Sierra before attempting, any SSD swap. This is install the appropriate firmware needed.

Also, it is a good idea to have a bootable back up of the boot drive prior to updating. This is just good general practice, but especially good when attempting a major OS update.

Thank you for this. I think that she will not go the SSD route as it would be just better to upgrade to a new iMac that is far newer. They do not use the DVD drive so I guess that would be the only advantage to keep a computer this old.

I personally though this old Mac could be upgraded to at least Mojave. Too bad.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Thank you for this. I think that she will not go the SSD route as it would be just better to upgrade to a new iMac that is far newer. They do not use the DVD drive so I guess that would be the only advantage to keep a computer this old.

I personally though this old Mac could be upgraded to at least Mojave. Too bad.
It can be upgraded to Mojave just not officially, but High Sierra is a good OS as well. Is there something that you need that High Sierra won't do?

If your mother is otherwise happy with the iMac, why spend $$$$ for a new Mac, when a you could get a SSD for less than $100 and make that Mac feel like a new one?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It can be upgraded to Mojave just not officially, but High Sierra is a good OS as well. Is there something that you need that High Sierra won't do?

If your mother is otherwise happy with the iMac, why spend $$$$ for a new Mac, when a you could get a SSD for less than $100 and make that Mac feel like a new one?
All she does is email, text messaging and web browsing. 4GB of RAM and a spinner does the job especially when she has a 2017 MacBook Air that is running the latest OS. If this was her only computer I would go for a SSD however.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
All she does is email, text messaging and web browsing. 4GB of RAM and a spinner does the job especially when she has a 2017 MacBook Air that is running the latest OS. If this was her only computer I would go for a SSD however.
Then why buy a new Mac for $$$$ over a cheap SSD:
I think that she will not go the SSD route as it would be just better to upgrade to a new iMac that is far newer.

I mean, it is her money, so she can spend it any way she wants to, but if she just does very basic tasks, and is otherwise happy with her iMac, I personally wouldn't recommend spending the money for a new Mac when the current one is perfectly fine.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Then why buy a new Mac for $$$$ over a cheap SSD:

I mean, it is her money, so she can spend it any way she wants to, but if she just does very basic tasks, and is otherwise happy with her iMac, I personally wouldn't recommend spending the money for a new Mac when the current one is perfectly fine.

Very true

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.