Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
As some of you may know, I bought a Dual 867 on eBay and it should be here sometime this week. I'm gonna be upgrading a few things on it. I already ordered a 16x DL Pioneer SuperDrive for it and I plan on adding a USB 2.0 PCI card, (any recommendations?) and a HD and maybe a new graphics card sometime in the future. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any guides online for upgrading Power Macs? I haven't really done any 'big' upgrades to a computer before. I put RAM in my eMac and that's about it. So yeah, does anyone know where any guides are? Thanks in advance!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I recently put a Pioneer 109/A09 DL DVD-R drive into my dual 800 to replace the 103/A03 that originally came with it. Of course, you have to have a certain cable to get 16x speed, otherwise, you can only get 8x speed from it but DL capabilities are better for backup.

The Adaptec USB 2.0 cards work well and I recently got an ADS dual link hub to work with it.

Of course, my machine is dead at the moment unless I can coax the processor to work for a while.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
bousozoku said:
I recently put a Pioneer 109/A09 DL DVD-R drive into my dual 800 to replace the 103/A03 that originally came with it. Of course, you have to have a certain cable to get 16x speed, otherwise, you can only get 8x speed from it but DL capabilities are better for backup.

The Adaptec USB 2.0 cards work well and I recently got an ADS dual link hub to work with it.

Of course, my machine is dead at the moment unless I can coax the processor to work for a while.

What kind of cable do you need to get to get the 16x speed?

Also, thanks for the recommendation on the USB 2 card. I really need to get one, since I have a 5th Gen. iPod and it doesn't use FireWire.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
if you really want to maximize the speed of the G4 then definately consider buying a G4 processor upgrade from some the different companies out there. for a dual system you can go as high as dual 1.7-2.0 G4 processors. i think sonnet has some of those, as well as OWC. max out your ram and get a 9800 pro. wam bam, your system is offically boss

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
FadeToBlack said:
What kind of cable do you need to get to get the 16x speed?

Also, thanks for the recommendation on the USB 2 card. I really need to get one, since I have a 5th Gen. iPod and it doesn't use FireWire.

I don't know which cable to get, but I know that the standard cable has been said to not support the faster speeds. I don't think it really matters, it's more about the DL support, right?

I'll tell you something about the PowerLogix 7447/7457 upgrade cards, should you consider them. They need a working machine to update firmware. I can't use the upgrade I ordered because the existing processor card seems to be dead.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
bousozoku said:
I don't know which cable to get, but I know that the standard cable has been said to not support the faster speeds. I don't think it really matters, it's more about the DL support, right?

I'll tell you something about the PowerLogix 7447/7457 upgrade cards, should you consider them. They need a working machine to update firmware. I can't use the upgrade I ordered because the existing processor card seems to be dead.

Yeah, I don't even have any 16x discs, so I doubt I'll worry about getting that cable.

I doubt I'll do a processor upgrade. This seems plenty fast for what I do and I plan on adding a bigger HD eventually and maxing out the RAM to 2GB.

I just got it in today and when I turned it on, it booted OS 9. Evidently, the guy I bought it from was still running some old audio apps in OS 9. I tried holding down option to boot into Jaguar, since that is what came on these and the only option I had was OS 9. I went ahead and put Tiger on it and I'm downloading the updates right now. I'll probably post a pic of it in the Setups thread here in a minute.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
FadeToBlack said:
Yeah, I don't even have any 16x discs, so I doubt I'll worry about getting that cable.

I doubt I'll do a processor upgrade. This seems plenty fast for what I do and I plan on adding a bigger HD eventually and maxing out the RAM to 2GB.

I just got it in today and when I turned it on, it booted OS 9. Evidently, the guy I bought it from was still running some old audio apps in OS 9. I tried holding down option to boot into Jaguar, since that is what came on these and the only option I had was OS 9. I went ahead and put Tiger on it and I'm downloading the updates right now. I'll probably post a pic of it in the Setups thread here in a minute.

It really doesn't matter what was on there because if you buy any used mac or hard drive, you want to reformat it and install a fresh system OS X anyhow. (Yes, it is a pain to get a system from fresh install to finished system).

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
spinne1 said:
It really doesn't matter what was on there because if you buy any used mac or hard drive, you want to reformat it and install a fresh system OS X anyhow. (Yes, it is a pain to get a system from fresh install to finished system).

It actually only took me like 15 minutes or something to do a clean install of Tiger. The longest thing was probably downloading the updates. The ol' internet wasn't running as fast as usual today.

This Apple Studio Display is AMAZING. It's crazy how much better that it is than the eMac's CRT. It also seems a lot bigger than the eMac's display, which is the case most of the time with LCD's. They have a larger viewable area. I'm definitely impressed!

My Pioneer SuperDrive also came in today (along with iLife '06, which I still haven't got to play with much yet.) I'll probably end up throwing in the SuperDrive tomorrow.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Dont be so quick to spend money on the video card...

UNLESS you:

A) Do 3D work or play games
B) Need CoreImage support

the stock cards in that machine is already QE supported, so some the eye candy & GUI is already being accellerated by the GPU...making the overall system faster.

IMHO, I would spend more momo first on a big SATA II HD & controller card, and mAxDaRam 4 sure :D

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
SmurfBoxMasta said:
Dont be so quick to spend money on the video card...

UNLESS you:

A) Do 3D work or play games
B) Need CoreImage support

the stock cards in that machine is already QE supported, so some the eye candy & GUI is already being accellerated by the GPU...making the overall system faster.

IMHO, I would spend more momo first on a big SATA II HD & controller card, and mAxDaRam 4 sure :D

Yeah, after some thought, I decided it'd probably be a waste of money for me to upgrade the graphics card. This one already seems better than the ATI Radeon 9200 that was in my eMac.

Not sure if I'll go SATA or not. I may just get a regular ATA HD, most likely a 160GB. I only have about 25GB used on the 60 that's in here now.

I will definitely be upgrading the RAM, though. I got used to the 1GB in the eMac. I'm sure 2GB in this G4 will be very nice. :cool:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I recently sold my dual 867 MDD to move up to a G5 PM.

I added most of the upgrades you list above....

2nd hard drive - I went for a 160GB IDE, easy upgrade with no problems.

DVD/RW - I used the Pioneer 107, it was the latest Apple supported drive at the time so it worked with all the Apple applications. Fairly easy to fit, just remember to remove the tray edge bezel so it doesn't catch on the case. Plenty of good advice here http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

Memory - It had 512MB fitted, so I upgraded to 1.5GB, gave a massive improvement in usability.

USB 2.0 PCI card - I chose a Belkin 5 port (4 external) card which was marked as Apple & OS X compatible. It worked fine for connecting USB devices, unless the computer tried to enter sleep mode with a device connected. The mac didn't go fully to sleep, there was some fan activity and it was impossible to wake up. I think was a problem with Tiger and I never fixed it before selling the MDD.

I left the standard video card and apart from the USB 2.0 problem everything ran fine. I just couldn't resist the lure of the G5.....

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
OllyW said:
I recently sold my dual 867 MDD to move up to a G5 PM.

I added most of the upgrades you list above....

2nd hard drive - I went for a 160GB IDE, easy upgrade with no problems.

DVD/RW - I used the Pioneer 107, it was the latest Apple supported drive at the time so it worked with all the Apple applications. Fairly easy to fit, just remember to remove the tray edge bezel so it doesn't catch on the case. Plenty of good advice here http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

Memory - It had 512MB fitted, so I upgraded to 1.5GB, gave a massive improvement in usability.

USB 2.0 PCI card - I chose a Belkin 5 port (4 external) card which was marked as Apple & OS X compatible. It worked fine for connecting USB devices, unless the computer tried to enter sleep mode with a device connected. The mac didn't go fully to sleep, there was some fan activity and it was impossible to wake up. I think was a problem with Tiger and I never fixed it before selling the MDD.

I left the standard video card and apart from the USB 2.0 problem everything ran fine. I just couldn't resist the lure of the G5.....

Awesome, thanks for the info and the link to that website!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
FadeToBlack said:
Awesome, thanks for the info and the link to that website!

Oh, I forgot to add, if you decide to keep the combo drive in, move it down to the bottom optical drive shelf. The top shelf has more efficient airflow, which the DVD/RW drive will take better advantage of.

Enjoy the MDD, it's still a fine computer.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
OllyW said:
Oh, I forgot to add, if you decide to keep the combo drive in, move it down to the bottom optical drive shelf. The top shelf has more efficient airflow, which the DVD/RW drive will take better advantage of.

Enjoy the MDD, it's still a fine computer.

I'm gonna probably give the Combo Drive to my friend for his B&W G3. He had a Combo Drive that he was using in his PC that we installed, but it wasn't compatible with OS X. So hopefully this Combo Drive from the MDD will work in it.

I'm loving this computer. Apple makes THE most elegant computers on the market. It amazes me how awesome this looks. :cool:

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
I order all of my upgrades from OWC and the only PCI USB 2.0 card that I could find on there is this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IOGEAR/GIC251U/

Anyone have any experience with this card?

EDIT: Well, just found some reviews and one of them said that it doesn't support deep sleep. Since I usually always have my computer sleeping at night, that would be a problem. Hmm, I really need a USB 2 card. I may just go ahead and get the Belkin from somewhere else. Does anyone have a direct link to somewhere that I could purchase it? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.