Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amsutcliffe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
South Yorkshire
I have an early 2006 Mac Mini (1.66Ghz Core Duo). The Hard Disk seems have breathed it's last, so I've decided to attempt to replace it myself.

Can I use any Internal SATA drive, eg something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Bar...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271502982&sr=1-2 or are there other considerations to take into account?

I'm also intending to upgrade the memory, given I'll (hopefully) have managed to get the case open. Is there any danger in doing this at the same time, or is it safer to replace the HDD first and then upgrade the memory?

Many thanks.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
the only consideration on the hard drive is that it needs to be 2.5" a 3.5" wont fit ;)

if your changing the ram while your at it, change the ram first, the HD is part of the top chassis that covers the cpu and ram, so ram first, top cover + HD next ;) then re-assemble

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Just stick with 2.5" drives. Even if you remove the optical drive, a 3.5" drive will not fit. You will see strips of foam on the bottom of the original hard drive. Remember to move them to the new hard drive. They are there to direct air flow.

Since you will have the computer open, it's the perfect time to upgrade the RAM as well. The most that your system can handle is 2GB.

Be careful with the cable that connects to the audio board. I've managed to kill the audio on a Mac mini before and needed to replace the entire board.

It you want to go even further and upgrade the CPU too, try to get a few nuts and bolts that can fit in the holes that mount the heatsink to the main logic board. The nylon pieces used to hold the heatsink in place can break, especially on older systems.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
and when you are already upgrading ram and fitting a new harddrive ..its the right time to clean it inside too ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.