Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benoitc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
So I'm about to change my old MacBook 12" from 2015 to something newer, but I'm undecided if I'm going to a 2017 (i5 or i7) model with 16 GB of ram or an MBP 13" 2017 (i5 + 16GB).

Since I've a maxed iMac 5K (2015 too), the laptop is definitely a secondary machine, used when travelling or during time when I can't live in the office due to the weather... The 12" was good enough.

Why I would go for an MBP 13"? for the extra power and maybe the extra comfort given by a larger screen (is that one really true?). Also apparently the MBP screen is better under the sun.

So I wonder, would performances increase much compared to my current model? What should I expect from it? how is the screen compared to the older? Can we now plug a 4K screen easily ? I remember having to test 4 screens before settle for the dell U25 as an extra screen for the MacBook.

Are some people use the MacBook for any development could be backend or iOS/android dev, sometimes requiring to use adobe tool to handle UI elements while on the go? I'm curious how many use it as a secondary development machine? Any experience feedback is welcome :)

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
So I'm about to change my old MacBook 12" from 2015 to something newer, but I'm undecided if I'm going to a 2017 (i5 or i7) model with 16 GB of ram or an MBP 13" 2017 (i5 + 16GB).

Since I've a maxed iMac 5K (2015 too), the laptop is definitely a secondary machine, used when travelling or during time when I can't live in the office due to the weather... The 12" was good enough.

Why I would go for an MBP 13"? for the extra power and maybe the extra comfort given by a larger screen (is that one really true?). Also apparently the MBP screen is better under the sun.

So I wonder, would performances increase much compared to my current model? What should I expect from it? how is the screen compared to the older? Can we now plug a 4K screen easily ? I remember having to test 4 screens before settle for the dell U25 as an extra screen for the MacBook.

Are some people use the MacBook for any development could be backend or iOS/android dev, sometimes requiring to use adobe tool to handle UI elements while on the go? I'm curious how many use it as a secondary development machine? Any experience feedback is welcome :)

I did the switch to the 2017 rMB from the 2015 and other than the keyboard and speed, most of it seems the same. The 2015 keys have brighter backlight than the 2017 i noticed. If you are doing basic things than the rMB beats the pro. I use the LG 22 inch Ultrafine 4k which now runs at 60hz and its smooth enough for me. The 2015 was a bit choppy here and there but usable when dragging windows, scrolling or jumping windows. I move around with my computers too often and for that reason I got another rMB when I went to Apple store to look at all 3. the 15 inch was a beauty course but way too big and heavy and I didn't want to fool myself. I'm still able to edit 4k content on this little guy.

As I sit on my balcony couch with this 12 inch tucked between my abs and legs, I realize how many positions I can have comfort with using this little thing. I drag it around with lid open with one hand. I run through airports holding onto it with one hand. I slide it under my car seat when I run out. It all does make a difference. I sometimes look at the 15 inch and the bigger screen and think of the possibilities but then I remember that I did have a 15 inch when i got the 2015 rMB and even though it was slower, I abandoned the 15 inch and then gave it away.

BTW the new keyboard is better. I enjoy typing on it more than I do on the older magic keyboard. With the 2015 rMB I preferred the magic keyboard due to the keys on MB feeling too flat and causing me to have typing errors all the time.

I think the best setup for someone like me who is on the go and dislikes being in the same spot facing a wall all the time is this rMB and a 22 inch LG ultrafine screen. Why? Well Ive had all kinds of screens and even wide curved screen. I find that the simple 22 inch up close is perfect for me to look straight instead of around when working with documents and multiple windows. a bigger screen caused me to look around. I even have a Pelican case for the 22 inch screen and do move it around for when I need it. the screen pops off the stand.

as far as getting CPU upgrades, isn't the upper end stuff overclocked running hotter? I use the base config and base runs good enough for me.

Just look at your past and don't fool yourself. if you absolutely need 16gb or performance drops than its well worth it. If you are always wishing laptop could be more portable like your phone than thats another thing to consider. the 13 inch may be a jack of all trades master of none. When I was at the store, I was into one extreme or the other. But I'm not fooling myself. I know the 12 inch is the way to go to get the job done with the right tool at this time in my life.

Last edited:

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
FWIW, I just upgraded my 2015 rMB to a refurbed 2016 13" tbMBP (2.9GHz/16GB RAM spec).

I use a LG 27UD88-W (4K 27" screen), and the difference really is night and day. No more stuttering, no more lag, no more heat causing it to slow. The RAM, for me, is also helping a lot - I was regularly running 'orange' in activity monitor.

Sure, it's noticeable heavier, it's a tad thicker - but it's still a damn small machine that really looks the part. You also get the niceties like Touch ID and Apple Pay.

However, the 2017 MBP is a further ~15% performance increase on the 2016 MBP, so I'm now considering taking this one back and going "all out" (well, I get discount) on a new 2017 MBP. In fact, I'm 99% sure I will do that.

benoitc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
I did the switch to the 2017 rMB from the 2015 and other than the keyboard and speed, most of it seems the same. The 2015 keys have brighter backlight than the 2017 i noticed. If you are doing basic things than the rMB beats the pro. I use the LG 22 inch Ultrafine 4k which now runs at 60hz and its smooth enough for me. The 2015 was a bit choppy here and there but usable when dragging windows, scrolling or jumping windows. I move around with my computers too often and for that reason I got another rMB when I went to Apple store to look at all 3. the 15 inch was a beauty course but way too big and heavy and I didn't want to fool myself. I'm still able to edit 4k content on this little guy.

As I sit on my balcony couch with this 12 inch tucked between my abs and legs, I realize how many positions I can have comfort with using this little thing. I drag it around with lid open with one hand. I run through airports holding onto it with one hand. I slide it under my car seat when I run out. It all does make a difference. I sometimes look at the 15 inch and the bigger screen and think of the possibilities but then I remember that I did have a 15 inch when i got the 2015 rMB and even though it was slower, I abandoned the 15 inch and then gave it away.

BTW the new keyboard is better. I enjoy typing on it more than I do on the older magic keyboard. With the 2015 rMB I preferred the magic keyboard due to the keys on MB feeling too flat and causing me to have typing errors all the time.

I think the best setup for someone like me who is on the go and dislikes being in the same spot facing a wall all the time is this rMB and a 22 inch LG ultrafine screen. Why? Well Ive had all kinds of screens and even wide curved screen. I find that the simple 22 inch up close is perfect for me to look straight instead of around when working with documents and multiple windows. a bigger screen caused me to look around. I even have a Pelican case for the 22 inch screen and do move it around for when I need it. the screen pops off the stand.

as far as getting CPU upgrades, isn't the upper end stuff overclocked running hotter? I use the base config and base runs good enough for me.

Just look at your past and don't fool yourself. if you absolutely need 16gb or performance drops than its well worth it. If you are always wishing laptop could be more portable like your phone than thats another thing to consider. the 13 inch may be a jack of all trades master of none. When I was at the store, I was into one extreme or the other. But I'm not fooling myself. I know the 12 inch is the way to go to get the job done with the right tool at this time in my life.
Thanks for your response :) It helps a lot, I think I will let the night go before taking any decision, but think I'm ready for the new model. Btw did you go for the i5 or i7?
[doublepost=1499021303][/doublepost]
FWIW, I just upgraded my 2015 rMB to a refurbed 2016 13" tbMBP (2.9GHz/16GB RAM spec).

I use a LG 27UD88-W (4K 27" screen), and the difference really is night and day. No more stuttering, no more lag, no more heat causing it to slow. The RAM, for me, is also helping a lot - I was regularly running 'orange' in activity monitor.

Sure, it's noticeable heavier, it's a tad thicker - but it's still a damn small machine that really looks the part. You also get the niceties like Touch ID and Apple Pay.

However, the 2017 MBP is a further ~15% performance increase on the 2016 MBP, so I'm now considering taking this one back and going "all out" (well, I get discount) on a new 2017 MBP. In fact, I'm 99% sure I will do that.
Out of curiousity what kind of work are you doing with it? What makes you choose the MBP over a new MacBook model?

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
Thanks for your response :) It helps a lot, I think I will let the night go before taking any decision, but think I'm ready for the new model. Btw did you go for the i5 or i7?
[doublepost=1499021303][/doublepost]
Out of curiousity what kind of work are you doing with it? What makes you choose the MBP over a new MacBook model?
I went for the base and its good enough for me. doesn't bother me as the 2015 did. Just remember your past habits. If you never played games, don't assume you may start at some point and get the wrong machine for your important uses.

Canaria

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Netherlands
I went from a 12" MB 2015 8/256 to a 13" MBP 2017 16/512. The new MBP replaced both my MB and a 2014 ThinkPad T440s.

I liked the slightly more recessed keys on the MB better. And the 12" MB was an incredibly cute laptop, it reminded me of the 12" PowerBook. The 13" MBP is just a MBP.

A 2017 MB with 16/512 would have fit my needs too, probably. Who knows.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK

Web and iOS development, mainly - as well as the usual nonsense! But even using basic apps is noticeably smoother with the MBP, especially on the 4K display. If I was still using a 1440p display, I might have considered the rMB.

Fact is, the rMB was never meant to be used with an external monitor connected. It has never been marketed this way. In fact, quite the opposite. It's one of the best ultraportables on the market, and the best ultraportable macOS machine. If you don't need an ultraportable, the MBP range is clearly the better option.

I've gone from;

A rMB that was a bit weak for my workload
A 5K iMac that was overpowered for my workload, but far too weak for my gaming

To;

A MBP that can handle my workload
A gaming rig that massively outperforms any iMac
A USB-C 27" 4K display that is absolutely fantastic and acts as a hub for PC + MBP

I'm chuffed - but as I said, I'm so chuffed with the 2016 MBP that I'll probably swap it out for a 2017 3.1GHz/16GB model.

I will miss easily slipping my little rMB into every and any hotel room safe I come across - I must admit!

benoitc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
Thought it more , and decided that I wanted a true portable machine that I can use during travels, conferences rather than a work machine on which I would work every day. So I will go for the MacBook and its minimalism. Now the only thing that bother me iare the spec (i5 vs i7).

Thanks a lot for the feedback anyway it helped a lot :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.