Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Hi all! Obligatory 'hope this is the right place to post if not mods please move', because lots has changed since I last spent much time here!

I'm finally accepting that my beloved 5s, while working just fine and as handy as ever with its small size, is getting to be too much work to keep using with all the apps that no longer support it and the looming danger of Apple quitting the security updates.

I've decided the new SE is the way to go for me (don't care for any of the Minis).

The only question, and what I need your opinion on, is whether I'd be fine with 64gb (and save ~€70/$80) or it's smarter to spring for the 128gb.

The 5S is 32gb, so in its day it was the medium capacity just like the 128gb is today. But for the past several years, it's been either full to the point of sending up insistent 'iPhone storage almost full' notices, or, after some enormous and time-consuming clear-outs, having only about 3gb free.

I started getting the storage full notices no later than mid-2018 (probably a fair bit earlier) and despite a huge cull back in spring 2019, I still had to do a smaller one this summer to make the 'storage almost full' notice go away again, and that's despite the fact that I've been overthinking every darn picture since the storage first filled up and hardly ever shooting video despite quite enjoying it.

However, the problem really is all down to photos/videos. My music library's the second biggest thing on there, but even that's only about half of the pared-down Photos section. It'd be nice to upload some more, mainly stuff not on Apple Music, but I still use that for the more mainstream titles. I'm also really minimalist on apps, by preference, making the most of the native apps as much as possible and regularly decluttering ones I downloaded but never got into using. Same with messages. As for games...oh man, not a single one (just a tiny bit embarrassing as a millennial, but there we are!)

I had a look around the tech blogs, and the consensus seems to be for the 128gb if you're looking to keep the phone for awhile (that being as little as 2 years for one blog!) - which I do - and if you prefer your files to be stored locally vs the cloud (also yes in my case).

Some suggest looking at whether you're close to filling up your current iPhone, but I bet when they wrote that they were mostly thinking of users with a newer 64gb phone - doubt many people are going up from just 32 gig, as it's been awhile since phones that small were common. So it doesn't mean 64gb wouldn't be enough. And $80 is about 2 months on my actual phone plan - not huge, but not low enough to be totally thoughtless about.

So, what do you all recommend? What other factors should I take into account?

Reactions: Reggaenald

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I used a 64 GB iPhone 6 Plus for 5 years and finally upgraded this year to a phone that has 128 GB.
I never ran out of space but I also didn’t store long videos on it either. I probably kept at most 10 camera videos I edited (and compressed) down to about 30 seconds. None over 15 MB. I kept about 1500 pics locally stored on the phone but was diligent in always clearing out the old stuff that no longer interested me.

I always had a few GB free and when I saw it starting to fill up, I’d cull stuff.

Needless to say — while 64 GB is definitely manageable, it’s not as much fun as 128 GB. When I purchased my current iPhone, I had a choice of getting a 64 or 128 or 256 GB version. There’s no way I’d go back to a 64 GB model since I did feel cramped with that storage.
While a 128 GB model SE is more expensive than the 64 GB model, you’ll definitely be happy with it - so I think the pleasure factor is worth it

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I used a 64 GB iPhone 6 Plus for 5 years and finally upgraded this year to a phone that has 128 GB.
I never ran out of space but I also didn’t store long videos on it either. I probably kept at most 10 camera videos I edited (and compressed) down to about 30 seconds. None over 15 MB. I kept about 1500 pics locally stored on the phone but was diligent in always clearing out the old stuff that no longer interested me.

I always had a few GB free and when I saw it starting to fill up, I’d cull stuff.

Needless to say — while 64 GB is definitely manageable, it’s not as much fun as 128 GB. When I purchased my current iPhone, I had a choice of getting a 64 or 128 or 256 GB version. There’s no way I’d go back to a 64 GB model since I did feel cramped with that storage.
While a 128 GB model SE is more expensive than the 64 GB model, you’ll definitely be happy with it - so I think the pleasure factor is worth it
thanks, this is really helpful as a personal experience! My current post-cull number is 1500 too! The routine you describe is pretty much me, at 32gb. Aren't the pictures/videos shot by the newer phones also bigger, though?

My video is already just over 3gb total as it is, ~20 clips (post great cull). There's been occasions where I wanted to take video but thought nm. Definitely a first-world-problem, but eh.

Reactions: Reggaenald

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Apple is rumored to be coming out with the newer version of the SE in about a month. Can you wait until then? It may lower the price of the SE2020 even if you don't go for the newest version of the SE
I saw that - after I posted the thread! I thought about deleting it, but I still wanted to discuss it because it looks like 64 will still be the smallest capacity. And pricing is often weird where I am - like, it often doesn't drop enough on the older models to make it worth your while given the shorter lifespan (especially if you're looking to keep devices as long as possible, like I do). It's not like in the US.

But yeah, I am going to wait and see what they come up with before committing. It sounds like it'll only be a few weeks, maybe just a month.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Hi all! Obligatory 'hope this is the right place to post if not mods please move', because lots has changed since I last spent much time here!

I'm finally accepting that my beloved 5s, while working just fine and as handy as ever with its small size, is getting to be too much work to keep using with all the apps that no longer support it and the looming danger of Apple quitting the security updates.

I've decided the new SE is the way to go for me (don't care for any of the Minis).

The only question, and what I need your opinion on, is whether I'd be fine with 64gb (and save ~€70/$80) or it's smarter to spring for the 128gb.

The 5S is 32gb, so in its day it was the medium capacity just like the 128gb is today. But for the past several years, it's been either full to the point of sending up insistent 'iPhone storage almost full' notices, or, after some enormous and time-consuming clear-outs, having only about 3gb free.

I started getting the storage full notices no later than mid-2018 (probably a fair bit earlier) and despite a huge cull back in spring 2019, I still had to do a smaller one this summer to make the 'storage almost full' notice go away again, and that's despite the fact that I've been overthinking every darn picture since the storage first filled up and hardly ever shooting video despite quite enjoying it.

However, the problem really is all down to photos/videos. My music library's the second biggest thing on there, but even that's only about half of the pared-down Photos section. It'd be nice to upload some more, mainly stuff not on Apple Music, but I still use that for the more mainstream titles. I'm also really minimalist on apps, by preference, making the most of the native apps as much as possible and regularly decluttering ones I downloaded but never got into using. Same with messages. As for games...oh man, not a single one (just a tiny bit embarrassing as a millennial, but there we are!)

I had a look around the tech blogs, and the consensus seems to be for the 128gb if you're looking to keep the phone for awhile (that being as little as 2 years for one blog!) - which I do - and if you prefer your files to be stored locally vs the cloud (also yes in my case).

Some suggest looking at whether you're close to filling up your current iPhone, but I bet when they wrote that they were mostly thinking of users with a newer 64gb phone - doubt many people are going up from just 32 gig, as it's been awhile since phones that small were common. So it doesn't mean 64gb wouldn't be enough. And $80 is about 2 months on my actual phone plan - not huge, but not low enough to be totally thoughtless about.

So, what do you all recommend? What other factors should I take into account?

A few weeks from now the 2022 iPhone SE 5G will be out

Reactions: roisin and mac

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Get 128GB since your upgrade cycle is 8 years! That’s a lot of time to store media and memories during those years. And obviously wait for the new 5G SE.
Yeah, the longest upgrade cycle haha. I'm honestly so impressed with this lil phone! Would love it if the same happened with the new one. It's such a privilege not to have to be constantly preoccupied with your stupid phone - either getting used to a new phone's quirks - including the physical ones, like getting new cases and figuring out which pockets/bags it fits in - or trying to decide which new phone to get. It's the kind of thing that's fun if you're into these things for their own sake, but otherwise is kind of a drag!
Wait for new se, buy at least 128. Case closed.
haha, I like the assertiveness. It definitely seems to be the consensus so far on this thread :)
Maybe the SE5g won't have anything lower than 128, and your decision will be easy ;-)
Exactly! It's win-win potentially :p

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
Yeah, the longest upgrade cycle haha. I'm honestly so impressed with this lil phone! Would love it if the same happened with the new one. It's such a privilege not to have to be constantly preoccupied with your stupid phone - either getting used to a new phone's quirks - including the physical ones, like getting new cases and figuring out which pockets/bags it fits in - or trying to decide which new phone to get. It's the kind of thing that's fun if you're into these things for their own sake, but otherwise is kind of a drag!

haha, I like the assertiveness. It definitely seems to be the consensus so far on this thread :)

Exactly! It's win-win potentially :p
Yeah... I would either wait for the new SE or just get the 12/13 Mini for the sake of 5G Alone

I have to be honest with you.... I urge you to reconsider the 12/13 iPhone min. My work phone was upgraded from an iPhone 8 to a 2nd gen SE and the experience is horrible

The iPhone 8 has a superior camera, superior LCD screen and clarity, superior battery life, and better build quality... the SE feels so cheap in my hand. I can barely see this phone in the sunlight With its crappy screen contrast

It’s crazy how the difference is... you should go to an Apple Store and judge for yourself

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Yeah... I would either wait for the new SE or just get the 12/13 Mini for the sake of 5G Alone

I have to be honest with you.... I urge you to reconsider the 12/13 iPhone min. My work phone was upgraded from an iPhone 8 to a 2nd gen SE and the experience is horrible

The iPhone 8 has a superior camera, superior LCD screen and clarity, superior battery life, and better build quality... the SE feels so cheap in my hand. I can barely see this phone in the sunlight With its crappy screen contrast

It’s crazy how the difference is... you should go to an Apple Store and judge for yourself
So, basically between iPhone 8 and SE (2020), your pick would be the iPhone 8? That can happen - newer isn't always better! I will definitely look at finding a store locally that has both the iPhone 8 and the SE2g (there's no Apple stores where I am, just various resellers and I think it will be a tall order to find one that still has a display iPhone 8 given it's a much older model, but you make it sound really worth the hassle).

That said, remember I'm upgrading from a phone about four years older than the iPhone 8! Sure, the SE2g is worse, but wouldn't it still be loads better than what I have now, AND also have the benefit of being supported much longer? IDK.

I'm not really keen on the 12 & 13 honestly, any version, because of FaceID. I just can't imagine ever liking it based on what I've seen of/heard about it. But I absolutely LOVE TouchID. Did from the first time I used it, still do all those years later. I'd almost certainly be willing to pay extra for TouchID over FaceID, so the fact that it's actually the cheaper phones that have it feels like a gift honestly!

tenordrum

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2019
DC Beltway
I have the SE2020, (and a 2 year old hardly used IP 7.). Macrumors did a test vs the IP 8 and the SE2020, and they liked the SE2020 better.
Frankly, again, wait a month. See what apple releases, and then make up your mind.
The SE2020 is just fine for most uses, and it will be supported for quite a few years with iOS updates, likely longer than the IP8.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
That 5s is about 8 years old or more! 80 bucks over the time you own the new SE (I'm guessing minimum of 4 years) will be 20 dollars a year. Even cheaper the longer you use the phone.

I'd definitely wait for the new SE as well. Even if you end up getting a 2020 SE it will probably be cheaper when the new one is released.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I have the SE2020, (and a 2 year old hardly used IP 7.). Macrumors did a test vs the IP 8 and the SE2020, and they liked the SE2020 better.
Frankly, again, wait a month. See what apple releases, and then make up your mind.
The SE2020 is just fine for most uses, and it will be supported for quite a few years with iOS updates, likely longer than the IP8.
Oh, I'm definitely waiting to see the new release! Sorry, I thought I mentioned that upthread. I am still talking about this because of the capacity issue alone, because none of the speculation articles I read seemed to suggest anything about there not being a 64gb version. Since I started the thread, I figure I might as well settle on the capacity at least, then when the new model is released, I can focus on which model. Thanks for the comparison article!
That 5s is about 8 years old or more! 80 bucks over the time you own the new SE (I'm guessing minimum of 4 years) will be 20 dollars a year. Even cheaper the longer you use the phone.

I'd definitely wait for the new SE as well. Even if you end up getting a 2020 SE it will probably be cheaper when the new one is released.
Yeah, I would redo the math every year, and would watch the per-month cost fall and fall, and by now it works out to where I basically paid less than 10 a month for this phone. It's wild! Maybe I can retire it to some sort of light duty in time, like people used to do with old laptops back in the day.

And yes, I'm definitely waiting for the new release, just using this thread to decide on capacity since it sounds like there'll still be a 64. Might as well know what I want capacity wise!

Reactions: tenordrum

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Hey all, just wanted to post an update to thank you for all your help!

I did wait for the new 3rd gen SE, as strongly advised, and also got the 128gb. Very glad about that because as I soon as I did the cool phones-touching transfer thing (first time for me, as both of my other iPhone changes were after stolen phones, so no phone to transfer from!) I checked my capacity and it was already at a whole 34gb! So definitely the right call there everyone, because if I'd got the 64 I would have been well over halfway to capacity, not a good place to be with a phone you're hoping to keep at least half a decade!

I'm still struggling with the bulk, it's too much even for my relatively big hands & long fingers, but I'm sure I'll get there. But overall it's the right call! I also enjoy that even though it's a brand new model, there's a huge variety of cases, most at low prices, because it's the same shell as an old one. With previous phones I had to wait several months before manufacturers caught up.

Hopefully by the next time I am on the market for a phone, there will be a convenient option for an open-source one! (Spoiler: I said that last time I bought a phone...in 2014).

Sooo, thanks again, and I hope you're enjoying your new devices as well! And keeping safe, with...well

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Get 128GB since your upgrade cycle is 8 years! That’s a lot of time to store media and memories during those years. And obviously wait for the new 5G SE.
I agree with this. If you keep phones as long as you do, the 128 is the better option. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.