Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6S plus to XS Max

• Total voters

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
Now I know to someone might seem like an easy choice, but even though I saved up and I could afford it, I am going back and forth between upgrading to the 256 XS Max from my 128 6S plus.

I already replaced battery (non original) on the 6S plus, and it still is pretty quick at losing charge (especially after upgrading to 11.4 and lately 12GM), but aside from that, it does everything I want.

I used to upgrade to every new iPhone model on release up to the 6S plus, but I found no need to do it for the last few generations...

My main concerns are losing the home button and how well the headphone adapter works (I need an audio out).

The things that are appealing on the XS Max are the video capabilities and audio stereo recording, aside from the "new phone" factor of course....part of me wants to upgrade since it's been so long!

So ladies and gentlemen of the forums, I need your opinions, if you don't mind!

Thanks in advance...I appreciate it!

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
Now I know to someone might seem like an easy choice, but even though I saved up and I could afford it, I am going back and forth between upgrading to the 256 XS Max from my 128 6S plus.

I already replaced battery (non original) on the 6S plus, and it still is pretty quick at losing charge (especially after upgrading to 11.4 and lately 12GM), but aside from that, it does everything I want.

I used to upgrade to every new iPhone model on release up to the 6S plus, but I found no need to do it for the last few generations...

My main concerns are losing the home button and how well the headphone adapter works (I need an audio out).

The things that are appealing on the XS Max are the video capabilities and audio stereo recording, aside from the "new phone" factor of course....part of me wants to upgrade since it's been so long!

So ladies and gentlemen of the forums, I need your opinions, if you don't mind!

Thanks in advance...I appreciate it!

Here is why I said you should upgrade: your two main concerns are nothing to be concerned about. Every single person I have spoken too after they got the iPhone X said they love it and don’t miss the home button. They said it took less than a day to get used to it. As for an audio out... I don’t know what you need it for, but Bluetooth is the best way to listen to music now. I made the switch over a year ago and haven’t missed wired headphones even slightly.

I also currently have an iPhone 6s Plus and I love it... but it’s time for an upgrade after 3 years. My order is in for the Max! In my opinion, if you own a plus model phone, it’s clear that you use it a lot. You won’t regret it!

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
You’ve just said the 6 does everything you want and you have concerns over the new one.

Keep the 6.
Or go in store and try one, they are the only options you have to be 100% sure your happy with the decision.

Bluetooth isn’t the best way to listen to music, it can be more convenient if you want wirefree, it’s not the best quality it’s acceptable for books and general listening.

Reactions: phoneorpda

ohitsdj

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2018
Ever consider upgrading to X instead? I’m in the same position as you and I figure save the money now and just get the 11 in two years. Lol

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
Don’t forget the XR...you’ll still get the same wide angle lens that’s in the Max and stereo audio recording. It looks like it will also have slightly better battery life than the Max. Of course if you care about losing the higher resolution and 3D touch, the Max would be your best option. But the price difference is significant enough depending on your priorities.

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
Don’t forget the XR...you’ll still get the same wide angle lens that’s in the Max and stereo audio recording. It looks like it will also have slightly better battery life than the Max. Of course if you care about losing the higher resolution and 3D touch, the Max would be your best option. But the price difference is significant enough depending on your priorities.

I thought about it, but I need a big phone, and since I work with video I could use the higher resolution of the screen.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
It’s a really tough decision. I have done the preorder for the Max but would have been over the moon if it was coming with Pencil ability. I’m still looking forward to my new phone but not as super excited as I have been with past upgrades. I used to upgrade every 2 years but my 6S Plus has been my overall favorite.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Best to hold off for a while if you're undecided. Take your time, check it out at the stores, which in itself might be fun.

This isn't the best time to make decisions about this. So much hype and these ain't cheap.

You have the people here who are resolute and not conflicted. Their experience will not be troubled (although they will be broke :D )

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Get a iPhone 8 Plus 256GB. It'll be a home run. Guaranteed you'll like it and it's been in production for a year so any manufacturing oopsies have already been worked out. Personally I wouldn't get a Max until I could play with it for a while first hand.

If you've got the patience, wait until the R and Max are in the stores (and the reviews are in) then you can make the best choice that works for you.

Buying a first gen extremely expensive iPhone sight unseen based in Apple's gushing endorsement doesn't seem like a wise choice at least to me.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Coming from a 6s Plus it’s a worthwhile upgrade. There are other options though. The Xr will be a similar size, won’t it? And if you don’t mind not having the latest and greatest, believe me, the 8 Plus is still a really good phone!

Cirlonde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
I'm upgrading from a 6s (3 years old) to an XS Max. I have similar concerns...just worrying about adjusting to the new form factor and features (as well as the larger size for me because I've never had a PLUS). But I figure I have 14 days to test it out and if I don't like the new phone then I can return it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.