Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Hey,
Wanna upgrade OSX on my early 2011 macbook pro. Since it can't run Mojave I need to find a way to install High Sierra on it but I can't find it on the App Store how do I go about finding/Making an installer for it.

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Thx for the reply! I've decided to do a fresh install of the system. Just wanna make sure that my pictures are safely backed up? I have the box for saving originals to iCloud checked is that enough to be able to get access to the pictures again?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I suggest that if you are doing a "fresh install"...
Make a bootable USB installer of your downloaded High Sierra installer app.
Backup your internal drive to an external drive. (Nice to have, just in case "something" happens during the reinstall :cool: )
Boot to that installer. Open Disk Utility from the menu. Erase the internal drive. THEN, install High Sierra. After that install is finished, in the new user setup, it will ask if you want to import files from another drive. Choose to do that from your fresh backup drive. Wait for that to finish. And, you are back in business!

Another suggestion: If you still have a (spinning) hard drive, maybe the original hard drive, this would be an IDEAL time to replace that drive, and upgrade to an SSD. Prices for new SSDs have been tumbling recently. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.