Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justin L Franks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
My trusty old iPhone 5S finally kicked the bucket. Replaced the battery twice over the past 9 years, the most recent being about 2 years ago. But everything still worked fine up until a couple of months ago, when the touchscreen started acting up. Nothing major, just an occasional "phantom tap" registered once or twice a day. That got progressively worse, until about two weeks ago when it became almost completely unusable. Phantom taps multiple times a second, wild scrolling, phantom rapid clicks of the home button causing the magnifier to turn itself on and off constantly, the works. I had to set it to be permanently unlocked, because Touch ID didn't work, and it was nearly impossible to enter the PIN correctly. I had to use Siri to do basically everything.

I was able to get a rather nice discount on a new iPhone 13 Pro, got one of the few remaining 256 GB models in Sierra Blue. There's only a few options left (128 GB in Graphite and Gold, 256 GB in Sierra Blue and Gold, and 1 TB in Sierra Blue), and luckily Sierra Blue 256 GB is exactly what I was looking for. It should be delivered tomorrow morning.

But I've never used a modern iPhone except for short periods when handed one by family or friends. So where should I look to get a good overview on what has changed?

Should I first watch some iPhone X videos from where Apple first got rid of the physical phone button? I'd rather not watch a guide intended for someone who has never had an iPhone before, but I'll trudge through if it needed.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
You’ll find that not too much has changed as iOS 16.1 will feel familiar to you even if you were stuck on iOS 12. The main difference is that the 13 is like a million times faster than the 5S.

Reactions: GMShadow

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Guides are really tedious.
I’d just play around with it trying everything. Remember that almost everything is hidden, so when in doubt, swipe & tap around everywhere & see what happens.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Shouldn't be too hard to adapt to. Face ID once set up has always been a very flawless way of unlocking my phones. You'll love the nice OLED screen and the cameras as incredible on these newer phones. Curious how you got by with a 5s but then wanted a phone with s much storage to replace it with lol

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’d not watch any guide, instead just take my time to play around, try out all sorts of stuff. You know, the feature YOU find is easier to remember than the feature someone tells you, sometimes.

If there’s something missing, then I watch the guide. Fortunately iOS is dumb enough that I don’t need to look up the guide too often.

With that being said, if I ever got the chance to get iPhone 14 pro max, from iPhone XS Max is also a sizeable upgrade, though not something I’m terribly looking forward to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.