Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmorrison1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
Hello,
I am interested in upgrading my Mojave to Monterey on my MacPro 5,1. I recently went through a flashing with a rebuilt ROM from tsialex and was wondering what the best approach to take should be. I have built an OCLP USB drive with Monterey already. Also on my current Mojave installation, I have time machine running. Which option is best:
1. Upgrade the Mojave installation using the Monterery.
2. Erase the Mojave and do a fresh installation of Monterey. Follow that with a restoration of the data and apps from time machine backup from Mojave.

Regards,
Wil

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
well, you can try both. But a clean installation would be so much more liberating. Besides, many old apps will stop working in Monterey, so a clean is more preferable as you can identify the alternatives from the Apple Store.

wmorrison1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
well, you can try both. But a clean installation would be so much more liberating. Besides, many old apps will stop working in Monterey, so a clean is more preferable as you can identify the alternatives from the Apple Store.
So once I do the clean install, I could then use Time Machine to restore the files

KyleObr

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2017
Philadelphia
Did that work out ? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Completely paranoid to do it myself though :oops: Really not sure how to do any of it. I do understand I need a USB drive with Open Source on it ?

wmorrison1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
Do not restore with migration assistant....It is going to fail to reboot. What i did was to copy across directly from the backup drive after a clean install.

wmorrison1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
macOS Monterey works fine of Open Core...The issue arises when you try to use migration assistant from a TM backup to Monterey. When it finishes, it reboot and then restarts in the middle of the reboot....

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I have a MacBook Air early 2015 with macOS Mojave: MacBookAir7,2 with Intel Core i5 and Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz.

I have been reading some of features I could gain with an upgrade to Monterey, but I do not feel they are worthwhile for me; outside the security update concerns. The only obstacles that really trouble me is that there are a few websites that need a Safari update, so I use the Orion browser

I have also been reading the unsupported Macs for macOS Sonoma, but it seems too complicated for me to do, plus without the M1 chip what would be gained for me?

Looking for comments and suggestions.

Last edited:

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In case it helps, I upgraded my MBA 11" 2015 (7,1) from Mojave to Monterey a year or so ago and it runs even better than with Mojave. Battery life is the same too. Monterey will reach end of life this year as far as security updates go, but I will stick with it for a while longer because it's stable and quick given the specs of my computer. I still haven't got my head around OCLP yet but I might go there some day. I personally have little interest in buying a new computer when my old computers work so well.

I have a MacBook Air early 2015 with macOS Mojave: MacBookAir7,2 with Intel Core i5 and Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz.

I have been reading some of features I could gain with an upgrade to Monterey, but I do not feel they are worthwhile for me; outside the security update concerns. The only obstacles that really trouble me is that there are a few websites that need a Safari update, so I use the Orion browser

I have also been reading the unsupported Macs for macOS Sonoma, but it seems too complicated for me to do, plus without the M1 chip what would be gained for me?

Looking for comments and suggestions.

Reactions: madrich

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
In case it helps, I upgraded my MBA 11" 2015 (7,1) from Mojave to Monterey a year or so ago and it runs even better than with Mojave. Battery life is the same too. Monterey will reach end of life this year as far as security updates go, but I will stick with it for a while longer because it's stable and quick given the specs of my computer. I still haven't got my head around OCLP yet but I might go there some day. I personally have little interest in buying a new computer when my old computers work so well.
Thank you for your input! I am in the same boat regarding OCLP.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.