Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Trying to install the new PB2 (coming from Sierra), but the PB access utility app just reboots my iMac like a standard normal reboot and does not go into the actual installer. Tried a dozen times already, same result.

Any advice on this?

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
I suggest you don't. It's very buggy. Or at least install it on a secondary partition. Have you even downloaded the installer from Mac AppStore?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The public beta 2 runs fine on my external (platter-based!) firewire hard drive.
Of course, I -DID NOT- attempt to fool with APFS at this time...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
I suggest you don't. It's very buggy. Or at least install it on a secondary partition. Have you even downloaded the installer from Mac AppStore?

I did download directly from the Mac App Store, yes.

But you're in most likelihood correct and this is probably a blessing in disguise. The first PB1 already ended in disaster where I had to restore from Time Machine, so I'll just wait for the next beta.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Bump.

This is still in an ongoing issue for me, even after PB5. Anyone getting the same issue as well?

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I had this issue in an earlier beta. It wasn't until I disconnected my USB hub that it installed.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
I had this issue in an earlier beta. It wasn't until I disconnected my USB hub that it installed.

I don't get it though. I've disconnected every single device. Still getting the same issue. If it means anything, I'm running a fusion drive, and the first PB failed to install so I had to restore to Sierra. Ever since, the installer won't work for every new beta.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
So something is goofed on your machine. Did you try the NVRAM and SMC resets? Also boot to the recovery partition and do a first aid on the drive and each partition.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
I have done the NVRAM and SMC resets, but I'll do them again. I've also done first aid, but not under the recovery partition. I'll do that now too...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
So something is goofed on your machine. Did you try the NVRAM and SMC resets? Also boot to the recovery partition and do a first aid on the drive and each partition.

Wow. So I went into the recovery partition and the High Sierra installer is actually just right there next to “Reinstall macOS”! I never thought of going here and checking, and so now I’m going through the install process as we speak! Thank you!!!

Hopefully it installs without errors though. I’m not out of the woods yet lol.

Edit: And indeed I spoke too soon. Got an error after the progress bar was finished. Sigh.

Last edited:

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
Wow. So I went into the recovery partition and the High Sierra installer is actually just right there next to “Reinstall macOS”! I never thought of going here and checking, and so now I’m going through the install process as we speak! Thank you!!!

Hopefully it installs without errors though. I’m not out of the woods yet lol.

Edit: And indeed I spoke too soon. Got an error after the progress bar was finished. Sigh.
Can you attach a copy of your install.log? Located in: /var/log/install.log
Also can you open terminal and run: diskutil list > diskutil.txt
Upload the diskutil.txt as well.

If you don't want to post these publicly, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Can you attach a copy of your install.log? Located in: /var/log/install.log
Also can you open terminal and run: diskutil list > diskutil.txt
Upload the diskutil.txt as well.

If you don't want to post these publicly, feel free to PM me.

Hi I PMed you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.