Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kashif789us

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Hi guys. I am planning to switch to Apple Silicon Mac from my Intel Mac. I plan to migrate my data using Migration Assistant or Time Machine backup.

My question is how will natively supported apps be migrated to Apple Silicon? Will I need to do it manually? By deleting Intel versions and reinstalling Apple Silicon versions? Or Mac will auto detect it and show me their updates? Is there any app that can tell which app is now natively supported?

Thanks.

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
ASi native apps are usually universal binaries, i.e. both x86_64 and arm64 binaries are packaged into one app bundle. So, if you upgrade your apps before migrating, they should automatically run the native version (if available).

kashif789us

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2013
ASi native apps are usually universal binaries, i.e. both x86_64 and arm64 binaries are packaged into one app bundle. So, if you upgrade your apps before migrating, they should automatically run the native version (if available).

Nice. Thanks. But some apps such as Google Chrome or Android Studio ask to download either Apple Silicon version or Intel version. Such apps will need be to updated manually?

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Nice. Thanks. But some apps such as Google Chrome or Android Studio ask to download either Apple Silicon version or Intel version. Such apps will need be to updated manually?
In those cases, yes. Do note that failing to update to the ASi version will just result in the x86_64 version running under Rosetta, which has surprisingly decent performance.

For optimal battery life, you’d want to update, though. Personally, I updated all my apps manually, then checked Activity Monitor to make sure everything’s “kind” was listed as “Apple” and not “Intel”.

Reactions: kashif789us

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Oh also if you use homebrew, you may want to uninstall it before (or after) migrating, then reinstall from scratch. The homebrew team did segregate the two architectures so they can coexist, but since pretty much everything has been ported to ASi, keeping the x86_64 cruft around may be undesirable.

Full disclosure: I actually didn’t use migration assistant at all, so I manually migrated my data and installed everything fresh. It’s a lot of work, but I prefer a clean slate— it’s cathartic to me. That said, I’m not advocating one way or the other. Just letting you know what I did and the limits of my experience with migration assistant.

kashif789us

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Oh also if you use homebrew, you may want to uninstall it before (or after) migrating, then reinstall from scratch. The homebrew team did segregate the two architectures so they can coexist, but since pretty much everything has been ported to ASi, keeping the x86_64 cruft around may be undesirable.

Full disclosure: I actually didn’t use migration assistant at all, so I manually migrated my data and installed everything fresh. It’s a lot of work, but I prefer a clean slate— it’s cathartic to me. That said, I’m not advocating one way or the other. Just letting you know what I did and the limits of my experience with migration assistant.

Thanks ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.