Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwaynewiseman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
So, I have an iPad Air 4 that I purchased in December 2020 and love. That said, I really would like an M1 iPad to get the full experience of iPadOS 16 and to use Center Stage for video calls (I use my iPad a ton for that).

I use the Apple Pencil a lot as well ... if it weren't for the new baseline iPad only have Apple Pencil 1 support, I would probably lean toward that.

A couple things I'm considering:

- Buying an iPad Air 5
- Buying a new iPad Pro M2
- Buying an iPad Pro M1 on sale somewhere

Any advice or thoughts? Thanks!

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
If you're sticking with the 10.9-11" size and would rather save a few bucks, I'd go either with an M1 Pro on sale somewhere or an Air 5. I can't see the M2 Pro being very futureproofed over the M1, honestly.

There are some deals on the Air 5 right now as well - about $80 off each tier at Amazon. That'll cover 2 years of AppleCare for it.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
The 10th Gen has the same processor as your Air 4, so it would be a downgrade (minus Pencil 2 capability that you mentioned, a non-laminated display and no standard Magic Keyboard option, only the new folio.)

I’d be looking at an M1 refurb (Air or Pro) when available, unless you can grab the Air 5 at yesterday’s price.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
So, I have an iPad Air 4 that I purchased in December 2020 and love. That said, I really would like an M1 iPad to get the full experience of iPadOS 16 and to use Center Stage for video calls (I use my iPad a ton for that).

I use the Apple Pencil a lot as well ... if it weren't for the new baseline iPad only have Apple Pencil 1 support, I would probably lean toward that.

A couple things I'm considering:

- Buying an iPad Air 5
- Buying a new iPad Pro M2
- Buying an iPad Pro M1 on sale somewhere

Any advice or thoughts? Thanks!
I also have the Air 4 & was gifted a 2021 12.9 refurbished iPad Pro… the use the Air at night in bed for sleep meditation videos & the Pro to watch videos and movies and to dabble with Procreate. Get a refurbished Pro, maybe keep your 4 or pass it down to a family member.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.