Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyTwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2022
Hello everyone,

This is my first time creating a thread in this forum, hopefully I'm not breaking any rule!
I'm looking for your opinion on which iOS I should choose on my iPad (Air 2, currently running iOS 11.2) and iPhone SE (2016, currently running iOS 13).

Which iOS would run better on my devices and how do I upgrade them?

I'm having a hard time trying to understand how to do it so thanks so much in advance!

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
You don't get to pick. If you try to update both devices will go to iOS/iPadOS 15.6

SkyTwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2022
I understand this is the main path for upgrading to the latest iOS. But is there a way to choose the best iOS for your device? If I upgrade both devices to 15.6 their battery would probably last 30 minutes?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There is no method available to choose an intermediate iOS or PadOS version. If you want to upgrade, Apple provides the latest version for both devices. The "main path" is it. There is no other upgrade path. If you have a concern about battery life -- You have a 2014 iPad Air 2, and a 2016 iPSE. Both could be due for battery replacement (?) regardless of a firmware upgrade. Something to consider, I think.

SkyTwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2022
Oh I see. And if I upgrade to the latest iOS versions if for some reason I want to go back to my previous iOS, can I do that? Maybe with a backup?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Considering the age of your iPad, it might be time if not now, soon to consider getting a new one. A 2014 iPad is very old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.