Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jabar18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
I’m upgrading my iPhone 12 this week to either an iPhone 14 Pro or 14 Pro Max.

I’d love some feedback from people about sizing/weight and people who have sized up.

I use my iPhone 12 mostly two handed, even though I’m 6’4 and have average to large size hands. I never use my 12 with one hand unless I’m scrolling. But if I’m typing, it’s always with two hands. It feels so cramped to type that way and I’m always making errors/typos because my thumbs just feel cramped. I've never been a one-handed typer on my iPhone. Recently the screen on my 12 has started to feel a little small in terms of content consumption, i.e. social media, etc.

I’m a bit worried about the huge weight/heft/footprint change from going to a 12 to a 14 Pro Max. I just came out of the Apple Store and tried on a 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max. There didn't seem to be much of a difference in weight at all. (And looking at the specs it's just over an ounce difference in size). I’m worried that if I get the 14 Pro I’ll find it to be cramped similarly to how I experience the 12.

Anyone who has the 14 Pro Max feel that it’s just too unwieldy/heavy?

Jabar18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
The fact that you are a two-handed user is enough to get a Pro Max considering how cramped typing is. It won’t be any different with a 14 Pro.
That’s what I’m thinking. I feel like if I stick with the same size/form factor in the 14 Pro, I’ll regret it more than if I size up and it’s a bit too big initially.

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
That’s what I’m thinking. I feel like if I stick with the same size/form factor in the 14 Pro, I’ll regret it more than if I size up and it’s a bit too big initially.

I moved from a 13 Pro (which I adored) to a 14 Pro Max (love it!). Initially worried about the size and weight difference when I did it, it’s been just great. The phone is so well balanced it feels great to hold.

Unless you’re into one-handed use of your phones I don’t think you’d regret going larger with the Max at all.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I recently updraded from aan 11 Pro to a 14PM. It is bigger/heavier (obviously), but not a deal breaker. I got used to it pretty quick and rather like it now. I've got normal size hands for a man.

Reactions: LoveMyPens

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
Recently upgraded from a 12 Pro to a 14 Pro Max. Reason for the upgrade is because my daughter needed a new phone, or else I would still be on the 12 Pro. Anyways, I really don't notice a weight difference and enjoy the extra screen real estate and battery life. I've used my 12 Pro in the past one handed for quickly looking at a notification or something like the weather and then closing the app, any typing has always been done with two hands and I use my 14 Pro Max the same. I put an OtterBox Symmetry case on it for minimal bulk and decent protection and to me there isn't much of a difference than the 12 Pro with the OtterBox Commuter I had. I do not see myself going back to a regular size iPhone with any future upgrades. I am glad I got the bigger phone. And as long as anymore family members don't need a new phone, this one should last me a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbochgd

blaugrana69

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
I changed from a 13 Pro to a 14 Pro Max recently. I don’t find the 14 PM that much heavier to be honest. I‘m assuming that the weight in the 14 Pro Max is more evenly distributed whereas the 13 Pro is a little top heavy.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
I can get $1,000 on my iPhone 12 from a trade in through AT&T. But sure. Thanks for making a completely ignorant judgement about my finances.

just FYI ATT cheated me bigtime on mail-in trade-ins when we got iphone14s. you should do this trade-in in-store if you can, that way there will be no surprises. the fine print on the mail-in thing is terrible - if you don't like the amount they give you, tough nuts. you can't get the phone back.

i much prefer doing apple's in-store trade-in procedure. they evaluate the phone right there and then and give you a price. of course it's not going to be $1000 but at least you can take it or leave it right on the spot.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
just FYI ATT cheated me bigtime on mail-in trade-ins when we got iphone14s. you should do this trade-in in-store if you can, that way there will be no surprises. the fine print on the mail-in thing is terrible - if you don't like the amount they give you, tough nuts. you can't get the phone back.

i much prefer doing apple's in-store trade-in procedure. they evaluate the phone right there and then and give you a price. of course it's not going to be $1000 but at least you can take it or leave it right on the spot.
FWIW I just traded my 12 for a 14 Pro at the Apple Store using Apple's trade-in by mail (instead of going through AT&T). They pegged the trade-in value of the 12 at $235, which is enough to qualify for the $1000 AT&T credits. I presume if I had traded in-store and they gave me at least $230 trade-in value that the $1000 credits would still apply. The only reason I traded by mail is because I needed a few hours to get the new phone set up using the authenticator app on my old phone and I also needed access to my PC - doing it all in-store would have been a hassle.

I was worried about a few scratches on the screen of my old phone killing it's value but I guess I lucked out. And two years ago I got full trade-in credit for an iPhone 7 through AT&T. So YMMV with the mail-in trades.

OP note that the AT&T $1,000 deal ends on 2/16 so decide soon!

Piscestg

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2022
Update. My 14 PM is here and I love it! Not too big at all.
Good for you. I traded my 12PM for the 14PM that I got on release day. I love it. And for those concerned about the finances of others, I paid cash for mine. 🤣 Enjoy that phone!

• Haha
Reactions: Jabar18

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I don’t have a 14PM but I have the 13PM and they’re both very identical in dimensions. I’m about OP’s size and so far the 13PM is fine for day to day handling. The only gripe I have is that the weight is substantial when you slot it into your side pocket of your pants.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I don’t have a 14PM but I have the 13PM and they’re both very identical in dimensions. I’m about OP’s size and so far the 13PM is fine for day to day handling. The only gripe I have is that the weight is substantial when you slot it into your side pocket of your pants.
It looks like you're happy to see everybody that's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.