Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Prices via the self service repair program:

512GB ~$450
1TB ~$550
2TB ~$850
4TB ~$1300
8TB ~$2200

Add tax and get 88 bucks back for sending the old modules back in.

The Mac Studio repair manual (manual ID: CWQBNX) is available, and says that the serial number ending in 0 or 1 for the nand module indicates which slot it is supposed to go into.

If anyone is willing to sell their 512GB module, I'd like to try downgrading and would be interested in making a deal (that's less awful than the $450 price... dang).
For the self-service repair program, do they allow you to purchase any size, or do they restrict you to the size that originally came with your machine?

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
For the self-service repair program, do they allow you to purchase any size, or do they restrict you to the size that originally came with your machine?
You have to enter the machine's serial number. In Mac Studio case, it won't show you dual card options if yours is a base with just one card.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
You have to enter the machine's serial number. In Mac Studio case, it won't show you dual card options if yours is a base with just one card.
Right. But if you have a smaller dual-card set, will it allow you to upgrade to a larger dual-card set, or does Apple only allow exact replacements?

Also, what's the minimum size that gets you dual cards?

Last edited:

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)

Unfortunately, they restrict to only the size that came with your machine.

Right. But if you have a smaller dual-card set, will it allow you to upgrade to a larger dual-card set, or does Apple only allow exact replacements?

They only sell the exact replacement.

See attached screen captures, one for a 8TB Mac Studio, one for a 4TB Mac Studio.
(price is without shipping and taxes, and eventual refund for the old parts)

Capture d’écran 2024-03-16 à 13.13.31.png

Capture d’écran 2024-03-16 à 13.18.05.png

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
Though you can do it, the prices are pretty insane. Prefer the route of getting an external drive. Most of why I have 10TB SSD on my PC is for games, don't need to worry about that on the Mac. Although I don't really *need* to keep everything installed anymore with 1.2Gbit/1.2Gbit unlimited fiber. Also, I have 30TB free on a NAS I can just move things and move them back when I'm actively using it.

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
Mac
I recommended people buy the absolute biggest SSD they could afford, and was told I was crazy for suggesting that. With macOS and applications, I think I am at at least 50%, and I have the 2TB.
Probably because the Mac isn't my daily driver and I have a 10Gbit NAS with 30TB free but I'm using 20% of the internal (512GB) and 5% external thunderbolt storage (2TB).
It is, however, much cheaper to get a 8TB NVMe drive at only $1200.
The 7.68TB enterprise drive in the PC (u.2 with an adapter) was under $600.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
At least Amazon sells the 4TB Mac Pro 2023 SSD upgrade for less than the 2TB option but still very expensive at €986.68 (compared to a 4TB Samsung 990 Pro priced at ~€337).

That should work in the M2 Max and M2 Ultra Mac Studios, right?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
What implication does this have for upgrading the slotted SSD modules on the Mac Studio?:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
What implication does this have for upgrading the slotted SSD modules on the Mac Studio?:
None?

They aren't paired in any way, except you are only able to order what your computer originally came when it comes to storage through the Self Service Repair shop.

Apparently the NAND modules used in the M2 Max and M2 Ultra Mac Studio and Mac Pro (2023) are the same, so you can just buy them directly from Apple or 3rd party retailers (2TB, 4TB and 8TB available).

Reactions: theorist9

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
None?

They aren't paired in any way, except you are only able to order what your computer originally came when it comes to storage through the Self Service Repair shop.

Apparently the NAND modules used in the M2 Max and M2 Ultra Mac Studio and Mac Pro (2023) are the same, so you can just buy them directly from Apple or 3rd party retailers (2TB, 4TB and 8TB available).
OK, I took another look, and I can see that parts pairing as a term of art is very specific--it's about allowing a part that will work in one Apple device to work in all devices of the same model, regardless of the serial no.

I was thinking of pairing in a different sense--namely the restriction that prevents 3rd parties from making after-market slotted SSD modules: Currently, the only modules that will work are those that have the circuitry that enables the part to pair with the machine.

This is not part pairing based on machine serial no., it's part pairing based on being an Apple OEM part. That's why the only way the modders can make this work is to solder larger NAND chips into Apple OEM modules.

Given that the point of this legislation was to allow 3rd party parts to work, it seems narrowly restricting it to those defeated by serial no. specificity makes it too narrow--you're still restricted to using Apple OEM parts only (or, in the case of the modders, modifying Apple OEM parts).

Tattootroy

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024
London UK
Hi, thanks for your info.
I want to confirm this.
If I have a base Mac Studio M2 Max 512GB SSD, can I purchase the Apple 4TB or 8TB SSD Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro, from Apple and it will work fine in the M2 MAX Mac Studio?
Can you tell me what else I need to do to get it working?
Do you have a price and timeframe for releasing 4TB and 8TB SSD for M2 MAC Studio?
Thanks

This one.
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 8.11.51 PM.png

Last edited:

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
Hi, thanks for your info.
I want to confirm this.
If I have a base Mac Studio M2 Max 512GB SSD, can I purchase the Apple 4TB or 8TB SSD Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro, from Apple and it will work fine in the M2 MAX Mac Studio?
Can you tell me what else I need to do to get it working?

Hi,
unfortunately no, it won't physically fit.
SSD upgrades kit for the Mac Pro M2 are a few milimeters longuer than those for the Mac Studio and the card would hit the screw spacer.

There is enough room in the Mac Studio case for the MacPro M2 SSD cards to fit and you could grind or unsolder the screw spacer but I definitely not recommand it.

Do you have a price and timeframe for releasing 4TB and 8TB SSD for M2 MAC Studio?
Thanks

I don't know if anyone else than us (Polysoft in france) is working on MacStudio upgrades.
We are a bit off schedule on M1 Mac Studio upgrades.
Work is finished (schematics and PCB layout), we lost time because finding a PCB manufacturer meeting requirements was harder than expected and I'm currently verifying a last time our work before sending to manufacturing.
First samples were due to arrive late april but they will only come late may, I'm sorry about that.

As for the M2 we are not yet working on them but if M1 is a success, with acquired experience it should only take 3 months from the time we start working on it to release a prototype.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Tattootroy

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024
London UK
Hi,
unfortunately no, it won't physically fit.
SSD upgrades kit for the Mac Pro M2 are a few milimeters longuer than those for the Mac Studio and the card would hit the screw spacer.

There is enough room in the Mac Studio case for the MacPro M2 SSD cards to fit and you could grind or unsolder the screw spacer but I definitely not recommand it.

Thanks for your info.
When you say, the card would hit the spacer. Do you mean the spacer that holds the screw for holding down the card, as highlighted in the attached photo?
Also, after installing the cards, do I need to program the cards, or will they automatically be accepted by the Mac OS?
I'm willing to grind and cut the Mac studio to fit those Mac Pro cards.

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 11.15.37 AM.png

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
Thanks for your info.
When you say, the card would hit the spacer. Do you mean the spacer that holds the screw for holding down the card, as highlighted in the attached photo?
Also, after installing the cards, do I need to program the cards, or will they automatically be accepted by the Mac OS?
I'm willing to grind and cut the Mac studio to fit those Mac Pro cards.

View attachment 2371405

Yes, it's that spacer.
For a temporary try, you may not need to grind the spacer, but just ensure it won't create any short on the card.

Be advised that absolutely no one can tell you yet with 100% confidence if the cards for the Mac Pro M.2 will, or will not, work on the Mac Studio M.2.
It should, but there is no 100% confidence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.