Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdsgner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Hello guys,

So I have an existing 2017 Intel Macbook Pro Base Model which is my daily driver. It still runs well and I use it for Google and Adobe Apps. I struggle sometimes when I deal with large-resolution files in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. I mainly use the MBP for Graphic Design and WordPress, and in the near future develop my own apps. No plans for 3D Rendering yet but I might want to try some good games in the near future.

I'm trying to decide between buying a new PC so I can use my Ultrawide 34-inch properly to use my apps and games but it's more expensive compared to the new MacBook Pros. So maybe getting a new MBP and connecting it to the ultrawide will be my setup when at home.

What M3 Macbook Pro is good for me? I like the 14-inch size because it's slightly smaller or lighter than my current 2017 MBP. If only there's a M3 Air it could also be a good choice but I think they will release it late this year or next year.

Does 8GB really matter? Or do you have a noticeable difference using 16GB for everyday tasks? Not just rendering.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Whichever one you buy...

DO NOT buy only 8gb of RAM.
You will regret doing so sooner rather than later.
With the m-series CPUs,
16gb is "the new 8"...

Buy at least 16gb.

Re the SSD:
Be aware that if the "base model" SSD is 512gb, it will run well enough, BUT...
... the 1tb SSD will be TWICE AS FAST, due to the chip design on the motherboard.

Reactions: spyguy10709

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I own a 14” MBP and came from a 15” MBP and I love it. It’s snappy and silent. Lots of performance.

For your use case, 8 GB doesn’t seem enough. You want at least 16.

macdsgner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Whichever one you buy...

DO NOT buy only 8gb of RAM.
You will regret doing so sooner rather than later.
With the m-series CPUs,
16gb is "the new 8"...

Buy at least 16gb.

Re the SSD:
Be aware that if the "base model" SSD is 512gb, it will run well enough, BUT...
... the 1tb SSD will be TWICE AS FAST, due to the chip design on the motherboard.
interesting, I'll check if the budget allows for 1TB. As for 8GB thanks I will definitely choose the upgraded version 16GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.