Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RapsacDK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro 15" from fall 2009 with the following specifications:

CPU: 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
HDD: 320 GB 5400 RPM

I'm thinking of doing a minor upgrade, when OS X Lion comes out. I am completely satisfied with my MBP, but a little more speed using heavy applications wouldn't do any damage.

I don't play any games on it, however, I work as a web developer and Aptana Studio (developing software) can get slow at times (both at startup and while running). I'm using about 200 GB of the 320 GB, without plans of using much more.

What would I enjoy the most; 8 GB ram (4 GB extra), or upgrading to an SSD HDD? I was thinking of an SSD between 200 GB and 300 GB, and then saving my current HDD so I could by a USB case for it, and use for data store.

If I should go with the SSD, are there any you can recommend? I've been out of the hardware market for quite a while - actually since upgrading from PC to Mac. And is it easy to install by yourself?

Happy thursday!

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
More RAM won't help much unless you are using all of your current RAM. Take a look at Activity Monitor, especially page outs. Those will tell you (and us) if you need more RAM.

SSD will probably make a bigger difference but it's also more expensive. If you don't need the DVD drive, you could consider replacing it with a small SSD for OS and apps. Keeps the costs down and significantly improves the performance.

RapsacDK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
More RAM won't help much unless you are using all of your current RAM. Take a look at Activity Monitor, especially page outs. Those will tell you (and us) if you need more RAM.

SSD will probably make a bigger difference but it's also more expensive. If you don't need the DVD drive, you could consider replacing it with a small SSD for OS and apps. Keeps the costs down and significantly improves the performance.

Hellhammer: That's actually not a bad idea! I can't remember when I've used my DVD drive last time, and we have an external just in case. Can you recommend a specific SSD drive for that purpose, and is it easy to install? Will my warranty still be eligible?

Thanks, and thanks in advance!

Edit:
How about a "Kingston SSDNow V+ 180 128 GB". It is a 1,8" 128 GB SSD. It goes for €218/$311 in Denmark..

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hellhammer: That's actually not a bad idea! I can't remember when I've used my DVD drive last time, and we have an external just in case. Can you recommend a specific SSD drive for that purpose, and is it easy to install? Will my warranty still be eligible?

Thanks, and thanks in advance!

Edit:
How about a "Kingston SSDNow V+ 180 128 GB". It is a 1,8" 128 GB SSD. It goes for €218/$311 in Denmark..

Any 2.5" SSD will work. I would recommend Intel 320 Series but the Kingston you mentioned is a great drive too (uses the same controller as the SSDs Apple uses). Remember that you will also need something like OptiBay to hold the SSD. There are cheaper options as well, see this thread for instance.

The installation is not much harder than installing a regular HD. See this tutorial. As long as you don't damage anything, warranty should not be voided. However, it is recommended to put the ODD back in case you have to send it in for repair.

RapsacDK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Any 2.5" SSD will work. I would recommend Intel 320 Series but the Kingston you mentioned is a great drive too (uses the same controller as the SSDs Apple uses). Remember that you will also need something like OptiBay to hold the SSD. There are cheaper options as well, see this thread for instance.

The installation is not much harder than installing a regular HD. See this tutorial. As long as you don't damage anything, warranty should not be voided. However, it is recommended to put the ODD back in case you have to send it in for repair.

Last time.

Your tutorial video uses a product called OWC Data Doubler. I assume this has the same function as the MCE OptiBay? Can you recommend any of the two?

Also. On the thread you linked, I read that you cannot boot from the SSD/HDD in the optical drive space. Is that true? In case I want to boot from the SSD, should I place that where the HDD is now, and then place the HDD where the optical drive is now - or what?

Sorry for all those questions, but I want to be exactly certain what I'm doing, when I'm about to do it :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Last time.

Your tutorial video uses a product called OWC Data Doubler. I assume this has the same function as the MCE OptiBay? Can you recommend any of the two?

Also. On the thread you linked, I read that you cannot boot from the SSD/HDD in the optical drive space. Is that true? In case I want to boot from the SSD, should I place that where the HDD is now, and then place the HDD where the optical drive is now - or what?

Sorry for all those questions, but I want to be exactly certain what I'm doing, when I'm about to do it :)

OWC Data Doubler does the same. OptiBay is the original thing but Data Doubler is fine too. It's actually 25$ cheaper, so I might get it instead. In general, OWC's products have great quality.

I think some older MBPs have booting issues if the SSD was in the ODD but your MBP should be fine. Obviously, if it has issues, simply change their place and it should work again but I doubt you will have to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.