Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauzah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
I have an old iMac that I never used for quite a while and have recently been using it quite a bit more throughout my countries 'lockdown' period.

I wanted to upgrade it to a new OS (Catalina) as it's currently running OSX Yosemite. After reading online about performance (I have an old 5400rpm SATA drive), I think upgrading will kill the mac due to lack of SSD.

It's the 2.7GHz late 2012 iMac and apparently I can't do an upgrade on the internal hard drive to SSD in the same way you can do with other models. Thus, I have to resort to an external SSD.

On Amazon, the Samsung T5 evo seems to be the go to, my question is I only have Thunderbolt 2 // USB 3.1 Gen 1 and the current ones you can buy are for USB 3.1 Gen 2, will these ones work for my iMac?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
They'll work but not at full speed. Due to USB 3.1 Gen 1 limitations.

You can upgrade your iMac internally with a SATA SSD. OWC (macsales.com) carries SSD and kit for it. Although it isn't easy. If you were to do this. I'd also max out the RAM while you are at it. Maybe replace the CPU too. One post I found someone put an i7-3770s in their 2.7.

Note that the SSD blade kits are only for 2.9Ghz models and up.

gauzah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
They'll work but not at full speed.

You can upgrade your iMac internally with a SATA SSD. OWC (macsales.com) carries SSD and kit for it. Although it isn't easy. If you were to do this. I'd also max out the RAM while you are at it. Maybe replace the CPU too.

How much of a slow down are we talking? I have seen to whole 10GBPs vs 5GBPs comparison of the two.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
That 15% is just barely in the user noticeable range. Running Catalina on a SSD will be faster than any macOS version on the spinning drive. You don’t mention whether you have a 27” or 21.5” iMac. The hard drive swap on the 21.5” is slightly easier than the 27”.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
That 15% is just barely in the user noticeable range. Running Catalina on a SSD will be faster than any macOS version on the spinning drive. You don’t mention whether you have a 27” or 21.5” iMac. The hard drive swap on the 21.5” is slightly easier than the 27”.
The 5400rpm drives were in the 21”

gauzah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020

I have the 21.5 iMac, 2.7GHz i5, 8GB Ram.
I was under the impression that this specific model it was not possible to install and SSD in the same way that you'd do it in say the 2.9GHz model.
[automerge]1593038456[/automerge]

You can upgrade your iMac internally with a SATA SSD. OWC (macsales.com) carries SSD and kit for it. Although it isn't easy. If you were to do this. I'd also max out the RAM while you are at it. Maybe replace the CPU too. One post I found someone put an i7-3770s in their 2.7.

This video
says that the SSD upgrade isn't for the 2.7ghz version?

Last edited:

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
How much of a slow down are we talking? I have seen to whole 10GBPs vs 5GBPs comparison of the two.

Even with 5 Gigabits per second, you are talking very fast speed. That is equivalent to 625 megabytes per second. Your real world speed will be around 400 megabytes per second. Still very fast. The 5400 rpm spinning hard drive in your machine right now is likely running under 80 megabytes per second.

So the Samsung T5 external drive (or another one similar to it) should deliver a solid 5x faster experience for you in your Read/Write speeds compared to the old internal spinning drive. Where you will really notice the difference is with opening apps and copying data. With the Samsung T5 being SSD, you also have more consistency and you're far less likely to see it die.

gauzah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
Even with 5 Gigabits per second, you are talking very fast speed. That is equivalent to 625 megabytes per second. Your real world speed will be around 400 megabytes per second. Still very fast. The 5400 rpm spinning hard drive in your machine right now is likely running under 80 megabytes per second.

So the Samsung T5 external drive (or another one similar to it) should deliver a solid 5x faster experience for you in your Read/Write speeds compared to the old internal spinning drive. Where you will really notice the difference is with opening apps and copying data. With it being SSD, you also have more consistency and you're far less likely to see it die.

I don't know if I want to go through the effort of taking it apart so it might be worth going with this option.

Reactions: redfirebird08

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
I don't know if I want to go through the effort of taking it apart so it might be worth going with this option.

Done it myself and it's a great experience compared to any spinning drive. Very easy to do as well. Carbon Copy Cloner makes it super easy to create an external boot drive with an exact copy of all data currently on the internal spinning drive. Then change "Startup Disk" in Mac OS System Preferences to the external drive after all the data is copied to it. Restart machine and BOOM. Good to go. Very, very easy...and a great experience in the operating system with any SSD compared to those old spinning drives.

gauzah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020

Any chance you could link some other guides?

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
I have an old iMac that I never used for quite a while and have recently been using it quite a bit more throughout my countries 'lockdown' period.

I wanted to upgrade it to a new OS (Catalina) as it's currently running OSX Yosemite. After reading online about performance (I have an old 5400rpm SATA drive), I think upgrading will kill the mac due to lack of SSD.

It's the 2.7GHz late 2012 iMac and apparently I can't do an upgrade on the internal hard drive to SSD in the same way you can do with other models. Thus, I have to resort to an external SSD.

On Amazon, the Samsung T5 evo seems to be the go to, my question is I only have Thunderbolt 2 // USB 3.1 Gen 1 and the current ones you can buy are for USB 3.1 Gen 2, will these ones work for my iMac?
You could replace the internal HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD - it would have the same speed as the Apple blade SSD. Use a quality brand like Samsung or Crucial.

Here's the guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Hard+Drive+Replacement/16729

Note that in all likeliness you won't need the thermal sensor cable - the iMac can read the temperature ex the SSD.

Magnus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.