Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hi all, please some advice.

I've a 5,3 mid 2009 MBP running the dosdude1 Catalina patch 10.15.2. Wanting to update to the last version of 10.15.7, I've re-watched his original installation video as per home page. Really, just wanted to make sure that this update, I should follow, as I originally did upgrading from ElCapitan?

Also needing to confirm that I can skip the step to reformat/ erase the main drive (that 10.15.2 resides on as the main drive) with Disk Utility, as this drive is already previously been converted to APFS already. I'm assuming further that 10.15.7 will effectively just be installed on top of the current set up and my data on this disc will remain (all going well) intact?

Thank you in advance.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Quick question, given that this is a patch, is there a specific reason as to why update the OS?
Sure. Was on ElCapitan when 10.15.2 was out, there were browser, few others sync stuff I liked in Safari and native Apps between newer devices. Do get occasional odd behavior and want at least, the last and (hopefully) most stable version of Catalina.
Edit {patch updater unfortunately doesn't work to the next 10.15.X version}.

Last edited:

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
I didn't think it would work. Sorry to hear such confirmation.
Which to date it never did. Having the HD already formatted as APFS, will it require a fresh format/ blank slate to load 1o.15.7 you think? Or should it install on top when I run the latest patch from an external memory device? Obviously only updating the OS, retaining the data, would be the endgame.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Just for others, this upgrade (with Safari version at that time) worked on principle just fine.

1. coconut battery, installed on 10.15.2 and now crashes on 10.15.7. Fresh downloads from their site doesn't help.

2. QT severely stutters/ consistently drops frame rates in every .MOV file I have. Sound is not an issue. I believe it did that with my prevision version also but cannot be sure anymore.

3. I was under the impression I'd be gaining Battery Management in Energy Preference, introduced with 10.15.5....no such luck.

4. Really wish I could change GPUs on command (my model never had Dynamik Switching), its permanently stuck on the Discrete one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.