Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mw2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2003
Is it worth upgrading a PowerMac 8600 with a G4 processor card, if your aim is to boost its speed in general, and, more specifically, to sharpen the performance of applications such as PhotoShop and Illustrator as well memory-intensive devices such as digital camcorders and cameras.

I have received conflicting information regarding this issue. Apparently there is a diminishing return in the leap of a model such as the 8600 to G3 thru G4 status, and yet at the same time, I've read that it would increase the computer's power, especially in a program like PhotoShop (starting with version 5.5).

Is it possible for a neophyte to installl a G4 processor, in particular, a Sonnett Crescendo/PCI G4 700 MHz upgrade card, without any hitches? Is it a matter of removing the old card and replacing it with the new one? Or is it more involved and necessary to hire a professional tech for the job?

Also, I am considering a USB/Firewire combo card in order to save on PCI slots, will one of these work as effectively as having separate cards?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.