Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks.
I know the drive is working, since I tried a lot of these shortcuts(?) by resetting SMC and so on and eventually I got into my MacBook, logged in and everything seemed as it was before. Same background picture and so on. Then I tried to update it, but that just resulted in a stop sign.

Back up the data as soon as possible. Then you can try playing with the system and decide what you want to do. If it fails while backing up get an external enclosure since is sounds like the data is there. And once you have the data backed up you have a number of options you can pursue without having to worry about data loss.

JonasDenmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2019
I can now confirm that it is the logic board and not the HDD flex cable. A new one did not fix it. I also rang a couple of days ago and asked if it really was the logic board that was failing, and he said absolutely.
But thanks for the suggestion.
I also bought an SATA to USB cable / enclosure and I can not connect it to my windows pc, so does it have to be an OSX machine?

JonasDenmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2019
Okay, I got into the Mac again and I will try to do as little as I can and try backing it up on my external HDD. When making a backup from Time Machine, do all of my things get over to the HDD and I would not have lost anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.