Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Only SSD or Fusion drive?

• Only SSD (500 SSD)

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Fusion drive (500 SSD + 1TB HDD)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

warkis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Hi.

I have this iMac:

mac OS Sierra
version 10.126

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
Processor 3,2 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 20GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk Mac OS X
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB
1TB HDD

I use it for video editing. It is getting too slow. I would like to upgrade it with SSD.
I have 500GB SSD.

Now I have 2 options.

1- Throw away the 1TB HDD and instal only 500GB SSD. I will have all my data on my big external disks (I have a lot of them, so the storage is not problem) and use the internal SSD always only for the project I am working on right now (in premiere pro).

2- No throwing away of 1TB HDD. Make Fusion drive (500GB SSD + 1TB HDD).

What I am concerned about are those things:

- is it good choice to let “Fusion Drive” decide what is and what is not worth of SSD? Is it reliable? Is it good for videoediting? I actually do not have to have anything else on SSD then OS and my videoediting projects. I do not need faster browser or any other program. I need only better video editting. What is better option for me?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english.

Karel

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You have the SSD already (but not installed)?
Does your iMac have USB3?

You could try this:
Put the SSD into a USB3 enclosure, connect it to the iMac.
Set it up to be a boot drive with the OS, your account, and your apps.

Boot and run from the external SSD.
It won't hurt to try, you will probably get much faster boot/app load/run speeds.

Internal SSD can stay where it is for now.

warkis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Fishrrman:

I have Internal HDD, not SSD (as you say in last sentence).
And yes, I have ordered the SSD already and it is on its way. The only question is, if it is better to install it into the iMac classicaly, or with fusion drive (for video editing).

warkis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Option 1

I have compiled the information here on how to upgrade the hard drive your iMac:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-27-inch-late-2013-hdd-ssd-upgrade.2122595/

Oh no, I don't need to know how to install it :). There are guys, that will do it. The thing is, that they offer 3 options of installing and I dont know which one to choose:

1- Install only the SSD and put the old HDD away (use it externally for example)
2- Install the SSD and let HDD inside, so I will have 2 separated disks (one SSD and one HDD)
3- Install the SSD and connect it with the old HDD through fusion drive. So I will have both disks as 1 disk and the fusion drive will decide what will be on SSD and what on HDD.

I already ordered the fusion drive, as i thought that it will be best option, but now I am afraid if it is really good for me (I do not need fast computer for browsing on internet, playing music, or anything else, I need it primarily for faster video editing in Premiere pro and BM DaVinci).
The Hardware is the same in every option - 500 SSD and 1TB HDD. The only thing is what type of installation should I choose. Fusion drive, or normal.

So my question is not how to instal SSD. I want to know what do you think about the fusion drive. Is it good? And is it good for video editing, or only for common user? Will the Fusion drive know, that I need primarily video editing caches and other related files to be saved on SSD and not HDD? Isnt it risky to let some "program" (or whatever it is) to decide instead of you?

Again sorry for my bad english. I try as hard as I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.