Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Hello all,
I will be getting a PCIe wifi card tomorrow or the next day as I ma upgrading the Mac Pro to have the latest offering of Wifi and Bluetooth (Wish it were wifi 6 but maybe some day. I decided to go with a PCIe card that was good to use for the Hackintosh for the main reason is htat it is an all in once package with the antenna's and external data connections in one package. No hassle of needing to get antenna extenders. Plus it I was for 60 bucks unlike a certain store that is selling them for 120+. I also am not using all pcie ports and I plan to keep it that way so I have a few extra. I also plan on still using the Bluetooth cable by soldering some wires to the pins. Fingers crossed all go well.

Anywasy, I am currently running the Mojave and upgrading from the stock Bluetooth and wifi of a 2009 Mac Pro. This computer has not seem much use and I haven't patched the Mojave at all. Everything is working fine so far.

I was reading in the definitive guide that:
"If you are already running a BCM94360, you may need to purge your wifi settings for Mojave"

Now my question is this, since I pretty much have an untouched version, will I still need to purge the wifi settings? From clicking on the link, they say this:

"So the bottom line is, if you are having problems with a BCM94360 series Airport card, you may need to purge out the system preferences by cleaning installing."

Do I really need to do a clean install of Mojave to purge the settings? Is there some sort of command line code I can execute that will do that same thing?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
they say this:
"So the bottom line is, if you are having problems with a BCM94360 series Airport card, you may need to purge out the system preferences by cleaning installing."
Well, some guy on the web with no track record said so but it does not appear to have been something definitive.
That is, the matter was not closed and his conclusion was disputed if you look at follow up posts there.

All in all, what it means is that if you face issues, you can try what he suggests.

Reactions: philm001

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm failing to understand why you are even looking at issues of unsupported Mac Pros? An early-2009 cross-flashed to MP5,1 BootROM is officially supported by Mojave once you have a METAL GPU.

You'll install a Fenvi FV-T919, I suppose?

Remove the original AirPort Extreme, if you going to use the BT portion of BCM94360, you also need to disable the original BT module and connect the USB data lines from the cable to the original BT module to the PCIe card USB BT connector, not doing that won't enable BT.

Last edited:

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Hello thank you for your replies.

I am actually looking to go beyond Mojave as the software I want to use dropped support for Mojave.

I am planning to disconnect the Bluetooth module and the old wifi module. Yes, I am getting the Fenvi one. Was looking at one that was 10 bucks cheaper but I couldn't determine if the Bluetooth cable came with it or not. So I went with the Fenvi one.

I am expecting everything to work right out of the box but I want to plan if something doesn't work. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello thank you for your replies.

I am actually looking to go beyond Mojave as the software I want to use dropped support for Mojave.

I am planning to disconnect the Bluetooth module and the old wifi module. Yes, I am getting the Fenvi one. Was looking at one that was 10 bucks cheaper but I couldn't determine if the Bluetooth cable came with it or not. So I went with the Fenvi one.

I am expecting everything to work right out of the box but I want to plan if something doesn't work. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Get everything working with Mojave, only after you have reliable working BT, you go for newer macOS releases.

Read the thread below to know how to enable FV-T919 BT module, it's a USB device:

Last edited:

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Get everything working with Mojave, only after you have realible working BT, you go for newer macOS releases.

Read the thread below to know how to enable FV-T919 BT module, it's a USB device:

yes, that is the plan. For everything to be working on the Mojave and then upgrading to higher version. Thank you for the link, taking a look at it now!

philm001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Great news everyone, I was able to upgrade the Mac to AC and Bluetooth 4. Everything appears to be working!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.